History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wayside and Orchard Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Chalfont St. Giles, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6129 / 51°36'46"N

Longitude: -0.5937 / 0°35'37"W

OS Eastings: 497467

OS Northings: 191388

OS Grid: SU974913

Mapcode National: GBR F6W.SV3

Mapcode Global: VHFSP.NQGF

Entry Name: Wayside and Orchard Cottage

Listing Date: 21 May 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246113

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487616

Location: Chalfont St. Giles, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

Civil Parish: Chalfont St. Giles

Civil Parish/community: Chalfont St Giles

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Seer Green and Jordans

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chalfont Saint Giles

Listing Text

CHALFONT ST GILES

985/0/10015 SEER GREEN LANE
21-MAY-01 Wayside and Orchard Cottage

GV II

Pair of cottages, formerly workers housing. 1920-1923. Fred Rowntree for the Quaker Trust. Brick walls, tile roofs, wood windows and doors.
PLAN: 2 attached cottages in one range with a slightly projecting bay to centre of each cottage containing entrance doors to inside elevation.
FACADE: Pitched tile roof on two-storey range with central chimney at ridge. Slightly projecting bay with lower hipped roof and central window to first floor. Continuous flat string course of vertically placed brick headers. Wood multi-paned windows.
INTERIOR: Interior not inspected but thought to be plain as originally workers cottages.
SUBSIDIARY: Just off the 1919 Village Green at the core of the village of Jordans.
HISTORY: Construction of the village of Jordans, an ideal planned community for Quakers, began in 1919 to Fred Rowntree's designs of 1916. This terrace forms a group with the other surviving terraces around the Village Green, those first built at Jordans and intended for workers at Jordans Village Industries.
This terrace is listed for its contribution to the group value of the historically significant Jordans village and as a range of mostly unaltered and well-designed workers housing.
SOURCES: Buildings of England, Buckinghamshire.

Listing NGR: SU9905493537

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.