This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9666 / 50°57'59"N
Longitude: -2.4605 / 2°27'37"W
OS Eastings: 367760
OS Northings: 118679
OS Grid: ST677186
Mapcode National: GBR MX.MGF7
Mapcode Global: FRA 56QK.C8F
Entry Name: Cross House
Listing Date: 8 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487620
Location: Milborne Port, South Somerset, Somerset, DT9
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Milborne Port
Built-Up Area: Milborne Port
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
387/0/10007 NORTH STREET
08-JUN-01 (East side)
House. Circa 1860 remodelling of C18 house with earlier and circa early C19 additions at rear. Coursed limestone rubble with Bath stone dressings. Clay plain tile roof with bands of shaped tiles, stone coped gable ends with corbelled kneelers and bracketed eaves. Stone gable-end stacks; stack with moulded octagonal stone shaft and stacks with brick shafts at rear.
PLAN: C18 front range, with earlier core, and circa early C19 rear wings; remodelled circa 1860 when front was refenestrated and the central doorway replaced by a bay and a new entrance created on the south side.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 5-bay west front with 12-pane sashes, ground floor with plain rendered architraves, first floor in shouldered stone architraves with small roundels at the head, centre first floor with stone bracketed cill; ground floor doorway replaced by canted stone bay with Gothic tracery; three large gabled dormers , the centre gable larger; Gothic foot gateway on right with pointed arch and saddle-back coping. At rear [E], gable-ended wings with slate roofs, sash windows with glazing bars and later single-storey extensions; Victorian entrance in angle on left [S] with canted corner and steeply pitched hipped roof with small gable and octagonal moulded stone chimney shaft; main entrance below has depressed 2-centred stone arch corbelled out over fanlight and panelled door.
INTERIOR not inspected, but circa late C17 dog-leg staircase observed in rear north wing, with moulded string, heavy moulded handrail, square newels with ball finials and turned balusters, balusters of lower flight removed.
Listing NGR: ST6776118678
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings