This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2171 / 51°13'1"N
Longitude: -0.5964 / 0°35'47"W
OS Eastings: 498125
OS Northings: 147364
OS Grid: SU981473
Mapcode National: GBR FCQ.L1C
Mapcode Global: VHFVM.MN1W
Entry Name: Barn at Orange Court Farm
Listing Date: 13 December 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487374
Location: Artington, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Artington
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford St Nicolas
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 94 NE LITTLETON LANE
431/3/10022 Barn at Orange Court Farm
Threshing barn. Probably early C15, reroofed in C18. Timberframed on chalk footings, clad in weatherboarding with half-hipped tiled roof.. Central cart entrance and east side has small opening on pintle hinges.
INTERIOR: Five bays. All the upright posts with jowls have survived, as have all of the tie beams and most curved braces springing from the principal uprights to the tie beams. The wall frame is unusual because there are two lower rails instead of one midrail. The north end and some other parts retain passing braces from the first rail to the wallplate. The roof was probably originally of crownpost tyupe originally with down-curving braces to the tiebeams as thre is an empty mortice on the tie beams of each truss, together with a peghole. Butt purlins added in C18. Original timbers to wall frame have chisel cut carpenter's assembly marks and rafters also have chisel cut assembly marks.
HISTORY: Part of Loseley estate and also part of the old manor of Littleton which pre-dates the Norman Conquest. Orange Court Farm can be traced back to a map of 1735 but land owned by Orenges appears in local land transaction documents from 1464 and a farmer called John Orange appears as a tenant at Littleton on a C14 roll.
[ Domestic Buildings Research Group Surrey Report no 2209 1979.]
Listing NGR: SU9812547364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings