This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6279 / 51°37'40"N
Longitude: -0.7496 / 0°44'58"W
OS Eastings: 486649
OS Northings: 192860
OS Grid: SU866928
Mapcode National: GBR D54.WVG
Mapcode Global: VHDW4.YBLX
Entry Name: Former Town Hall
Listing Date: 29 January 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246257
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454784
Location: Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: High Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: High Wycombe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 8692 NE HIGH WYCOMBE QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD
1/10002 Former Town Hall
Former town hall, now part of entertainment centre. 1903-1904 by C E Bateman and Alfred Hale of Birmingham with stained glass to first floor front windows of 1911 by Arthur J Dix and Council Chamber panelled 1914-1918. Dated 1904 on rainwater heads. Facade of orange rubbed brick with white Portland stone outer bays, ground storey and dressings. Collyweston stone slate roof. Flanks, rear elevation and rear hall range in red brick. Hall with slate roof. Symmetrical Frontage Block of 7 bays in mannered 'Queen Anne' style. Central Ionic doorcase with attached columns, entablature with steep scrolled quarter pediments framing wrought iron segmental section balcony. Richly carved with acanthus, egg and dart and other motifs. "Town Hall" on frieze. Central five bays with ashlar faced ground floor with segmental headed architraved windows, shouldered architraves and keystones. Tall first floor windows with stone moulded architraves, keystones and dentilled cornices. Surmounted by modillion cornice above egg and dart frieze across all7 bays. Attic storey with paired casements in stone frames with stone mullions and shell 'keys'. Stone framed brick panels between. Slightly projecting outer bays all ashlared with blocked ground storey with corniced and architraved recesses, chanelled rusticated first floor with stone cross window with shouldered architrave and cornice. Attic storey with keyed round window flanked by panelled pilasters to broken segmental pediment, all richly carved with foliage and central cartouche. Steeply pitched hipped roof surmounted by clock turret with columns and an octagonal ogeed copper roofed open cupola. Left flank elevations plainer with chequer stone and brick band at main cornice level. Rear Hall Range of 6 bays with tall cross windows set in arched recesses. Slate roof and central cupola. Interior: First floor main front room (former council chamber) lavishly oak panelled, 1914-1918 [restored 1990-1992). Stained glass windows to front 1911 by Arthur J Dix, depicting Progress [central behind balcony) , and eminent Buckinghamshire residents, John Hampden, William Penn, Edmund Burke and Benjamin Disraeli. Entrance Hall has Tuscan columns. Wycombe Swan entertainment centre attached to rear of hall is not of special interest.
[See BOE Buckinghamshire p387 .)
Listing NGR: SU8664992860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings