This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2302 / 51°13'48"N
Longitude: -2.3248 / 2°19'29"W
OS Eastings: 377414
OS Northings: 147942
OS Grid: ST774479
Mapcode National: GBR 0S9.T6M
Mapcode Global: VH97D.NB9R
Entry Name: Sheppards Barton Baptist Church and School Rooms and Forecourt Area Railings and Gates and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 23 April 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246340
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487331
Location: Frome, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Frome
Built-Up Area: Frome
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
1010/0/10012 SOUTH PARADE
23-APR-01 Sheppards Barton Baptist Church, Schoo
l Rooms and forecourt area railings, g
ates and gate-piers.
Baptist chapel and school rooms. 1850; by J. Davis; school rooms added circa 1860. Coursed limestone with ashlar dressings. Slate hipped roof with parapet at front; school rooms rusticated ashlar and red brick.
PLAN: Square auditorium with gallery on three sides; entrance in recessed porch under gallery. School rooms added in about 1860 at rear, facing Wine Street.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey 1:3:1 bay SE front with parapet and cornice, the flanking bays slightly advanced with cornice at first floor continuing across central recess; cornices supported on large console brackets in recess; rusticated quoins and rusticated ashlar at ground floor with 3-bay arcaded entrance with imposts carried through to flanking round-arch windows with rusticated voussoirs; five double-recessed round-arch windows on first floor with moulded archivolts, keystones, continuous impost mouldings and balustrades to cills; round-headed sashes with arched glazing bars; within the arcaded porch doorways in left and right returns have moulded fielded panel double doors with cornices. At sides round-headed first floor windows and segmental ground floor windows.
Including forecourt area railings, gates and stone gate-piers and terminal piers with arched panels and caps.
School rooms at rear [NW] facing Wine Street, with pedimental gabled front; ground floor rusticated ashlar with arched recesses, the centre wide segmental arch containing three round-headed windows and with tall narrow flanking round-headed recesses containing doorways with moulded segmental-headed overlights with keyblocks and with panelled doors, the top panels arched; first floor red brick red brick with stone pilasters, the three bays with moulded modillions above, the wider centre bay with segmental arch in gable and tripartite round-headed windows, the flanking bays with smaller round-headed windows; all round-headed sashes with margin glazing bars.
INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides of auditorium on thin iron posts, most of its panelled front removed; dado panelling, seating and rostrum also taken out, the rostrum was re-used from the earlier, 1708, chapel; auditorium has ceiling divided into compartments with central skylight and with elliptical arch recess on NW side of auditorium. Wall monuments from former chapel, including those to John Sheppard , Thomas Bunn  and the Rev Edward Cooper Daniell . First floor school room has exposed arch-braced trusses on corbels.
SOURCE: RCHME, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, p175.
Listing NGR: ST7741747943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings