This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4436 / 53°26'36"N
Longitude: -1.9495 / 1°56'58"W
OS Eastings: 403453
OS Northings: 394091
OS Grid: SK034940
Mapcode National: GBR GXTM.R9
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.0PYY
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 27 January 1978
Last Amended: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487207
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
District Council Ward: Howard Town
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0394 NORFOLK SQUARE
921-1/10/18 (North side)
27/01/78 National Westminster Bank
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET WEST
National Westminster Bank)
Includes: National Westminster Bank HIGH STREET WEST.
Bank. 1897 with additions 1910. Ashlar with ashlar dressings
to principal elevations, coursed millstone grit elsewhere.
Westmorland slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles.
STYLE: Elizabethan Revival.
PLAN: L-plan with entrance to left of main range, banking hall
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys, single storey to rear. Chamfered
plinth, first-floor panel frieze and sill band, second floor
High Street front, has 3 windows arranged 1:2. All windows
have mullions and transoms. 3 storey entrance bay to left has
shaped gable with lion finial and datestone. Doorway to left
has double panel doors, and 2-light window to right both under
round-headed arches with mullion fanlights. Above canted
4-light oriel window on corbelled base, and above again
5-light window with hoodmould. Banking hall to left has 2
segment headed 4-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved
stops, above two 3-light windows, with shaft between topped by
rampant lion and shield on crenellated parapet.
Left return has irregular 3 window front with crenellated
parapet. Segment headed 4-light window to right with hoodmould
and carved stops flanked by 2-light windows. To left round
headed 2-light window with carved transom and mullion
fanlight. Above single 2-light window and two 3-light windows,
1910 extension contains stair marked externally by staggered
3-light windows. Detailing similar to front elevation.
Right return has 3 segment headed 4-light windows, and above a
single 2-light window.
INTERIOR: has ornate plasterwork to banking hall.
Listing NGR: SK0345394091
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings