This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2154 / 53°12'55"N
Longitude: -1.6768 / 1°40'36"W
OS Eastings: 421676
OS Northings: 368758
OS Grid: SK216687
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.GVH
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.6FRT
Entry Name: Milford House Hotel Including Ormonde
Listing Date: 20 May 1974
Last Amended: 5 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468173
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Built-Up Area: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2168 MILL STREET
831-1/4/134 (East side)
20/05/74 Milford House Hotel including
(Formerly Listed as:
Milford House Hotel)
Hotel and private dwelling. Early C18 origin with early C19
garden front having mid-late C18 and late C19 side wings.
Tooled ashlar to garden front; coursed sandstone and limestone
laid in diminishing courses. Stone slate, concrete tile and
Welsh slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 3-window range garden front with earlier
parallel range to rear; 2-storey, single-bay side wing on
left; 2-storey wing projects from right side of garden front
and has taller side wing to rear.
Garden front: rusticated plinth and quoins. Central porch with
arcade on half column having carved capital; lantern to right
corner; cornice with blocking course. The porch is entered by
a round-arched door in right return; inner doorway to right of
a window in shared architrave beneath pulvinated frieze and
dentilled cornice. Sill bands and architraves to paired 2/2
sashes of diminishing heights; cornice over central
first-floor window. String course beneath dentilled cornice
which forms gutter. Gable copings; end stacks with ashlar
plinths and cornices to brick shafts.
Late C19 side wing on left: large quoins; sill bands; 1/1
sashes to mullioned window of 2 segmentally-arched lights;
corbelled oriel bay window beneath gable with carved armorial
crest and ball finials. Eaves cornice, coped end gable with
apex ball finial; tall octagonal-flue brick stacks to rear of
Mid-late C18 side wing on right: gabled front. Left return
with a single and 2 pairs of bee boles with round-arched
ashlar surrounds; lead down pipe with hopper dated 1767; late
C19 4-light window to first floor left has king mullion,
transom and pictorial stained glass. Ashlar stair turret in
angle with garden front. Right return of this wing has
external stone steps and round-arched windows of one and 2
lights in mullioned ashlar surrounds. Rear (facing Mill
Street): evidence of early mullioned windows but now with
various 6/6 sashes including 2 which form a stair window.
INTERIOR: arched fielded-panel wall cupboard to rear of
present dining room. Stained-glass window in right side-wing
is dated 1877 and depicts daybreak and nightfall.
Listing NGR: SK2167668758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings