History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hulme Barracks

A Grade II Listed Building in Hulme, Manchester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4683 / 53°28'6"N

Longitude: -2.2643 / 2°15'51"W

OS Eastings: 382549

OS Northings: 396877

OS Grid: SJ825968

Mapcode National: GBR DDM.DP

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.620X

Entry Name: Hulme Barracks

Listing Date: 16 November 1978

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 456844

Location: Manchester, M15

County: Manchester

Metropolitan District Ward: Hulme

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Hulme The Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


MANCHESTER

SJ89NW PRINCESS STREET, Hulme
698-1/4/718 (West side)
16/11/78 Hulme Barracks
(Formerly Listed as:
ST GEORGE'S SQUARE, Hulme
(West side)
Hulme Barracks)

II

Officers' mess with some officers' quarters and
quartermaster's house to former Hulme Barracks; now flats.
1817; altered. Red brick, part rendered at rear, with
sandstone dressings and hipped slate roofs. Irregular
rectangular plan on north-west/south-east axis with main block
at south end and crosswing at north end. Georgian style. Two
storeys over basement, the main block 1:3:1 windows, with
pedimented centre breaking forwards, a 3-window link to the
right of this, and 1-window projecting wing, and a dentilled
cornice to the whole. The main block has a wide round-headed
doorway with panelled door and side panels and large fanlight
with radiating glazing bars, and sashed windows with raised
stone sills and flat-arched heads of gauged brick, those at
ground floor to the left of the doorway protected by an added
rectangular stone loggia composed of square pillars with
entablature, cornice and blocking course, with wrought-iron
railings. The linking range and wing to the north, enclosed by
a screen wall, has similar sashed windows. Left gable wall
rendered. The rear has a projection to the centre and northern
end of the main block, rendered and painted white, with a
2-storey segmental bow which has a pilastered 3-light sashed
window at ground floor (8, 12 and 8 panes) and one 12-pane
sash above; and the range to the north has 1:3 sashed windows
on each floor. Interior not inspected. History: cavalry
barracks until 1895, subsequently housed line regiments: men
stationed here included Prince Victor Albert, Prince Louis
Napoleon, the Prince Imperial, and Winston Churchill; and many
royal persons dined in the mess.


Listing NGR: SJ8254996877

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.