History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old House Museum Including Mounting Block

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bakewell, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2135 / 53°12'48"N

Longitude: -1.6798 / 1°40'47"W

OS Eastings: 421478

OS Northings: 368541

OS Grid: SK214685

Mapcode National: GBR 57S.G44

Mapcode Global: WHCD7.5HB9

Entry Name: Old House Museum Including Mounting Block

Listing Date: 20 April 1954

Last Amended: 5 December 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1247512

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468132

Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Bakewell

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Bakewell

Listing Text


BAKEWELL

SK2168 CUNNINGHAM PLACE
831-1/4/92 (West side)
20/04/54 Old House Museum including mounting
block
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH LANE
(West side)
Cunningham Place (Old House Museum))

II*

House, extended and altered to form various dwellings, now
local history museum. C16 and C17, possibly of earlier origin
and with later additions and alterations. Rubble limestone
with sandstone dressings; stone slate roof. Irregular H-shaped
plan with earliest range forming left cross wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Large quoins. Left gable has restored,
mullioned and transomed 3-light window; 2-light mullioned
window to first floor and small opening above.
Gabled 2-storey porch to right of cross wing has quoined
doorway with elongated lintel; 2-light window over. Central
recess with 2 multi-paned iron casements to each floor;
lower-right window has arched lintel.
Right cross wing: two 2/2 sashes to each floor; C19 punched
stone surrounds, shaped kneelers and gable copings. Set back
to right is a side wing with door and with 2/2 sash to each
floor; stone end stack with rounded cap. Left return of right
cross wing has a blocked 2-light mullioned window to each
floor; mounting block against wall. A corniced ashlar stack
with brick shaft rises from left of valley near the porch.
Left return (of left cross wing): projecting side wing lit by
2-light mullioned windows. Cross wing has doorway and
multi-paned casement beneath restored 2-light mullioned
window.
INTERIOR: central range with large rear-wall fireplace having
splayed ashlar reveals, keeping holes and arched timber
lintel; various ceiling beams; C20 staircase in original stair
turret to left of the fireplace.
Left cross wing: ashlar fireplaces on both floors and a
timber-framed partition which rises through 2 floors and has
triangular-headed doorways and some original wattle and daub
infill. Oak beams, oak floorboards and exposed roof timbering:
principal-rafter truss with collar, single purlins with wind
braces.
Room to rear with small C18 corniced ashlar fireplace. Over
centre range is another ashlar fireplace and against the right

cross wing an oak partition with fragment of a
triangular-headed doorway.
To rear-left corner of right cross wing is an oak-framed
doorway giving access to a garderobe.
Central ground-floor room of right cross wing with C19 cottage
features; arched cellar to rear.
HISTORY: a complex house thought to have evolved from a
medieval hall and cross wing, the latter possibly underbuilt
c1535 to provide a "competant dwelling house" as detailed in a
1534 lease from The Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral to
Ralf Gell of Hopton. In 1777 Sir Richard Arkwright leased the
house from Philip Gell and converted it into 6 dwellings for
mill employees; one of the cottages demolished mid C20,
remnants attached to left cross wing.
(Bakewell and District Historical Society: Old House Museum,
Bakewell: 1984-; Journal of The Bakewell and District
Historical Society: Meeke E R: 1984-: 11-30).


Listing NGR: SK2147868541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.