This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1956 / 51°11'44"N
Longitude: 1.3397 / 1°20'22"E
OS Eastings: 633432
OS Northings: 149340
OS Grid: TR334493
Mapcode National: GBR X21.X3Q
Mapcode Global: VHLH5.56LT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428205
Location: Sutton, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Sutton
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
SUTTON CHURCH HILL
TR 34 NW (West side)
7/90 Church of St. Peter
11.10.63 and St. Paul
Parish Church. C12, with south porch and vestry 1857, apse 1861 by Arthur
Ashpitel. Flint, the south nave wall rendered, with plain tiled roof. Nave
chancel, north and south porches each stepped down consecutively from the
nave. Nave and chancel with small round headed lancets, with inserted C19
round headed lights. Apse with triple round headed window copied from
Barfrestone. Windows on north nave with interlacing strapwork surround
studded with platework, and reset grotesque head on south porch with pebble
eyes. Bellcote of 1857 has been truncated, with C13 bell now hung directly
onto the west wall. North doorway with nook shafts with scalloped and
scrolled capitals, with nailhead outer order and tympanum with diagonal
and pinhead moulding and wooden lintel. Interior: Simple 2 cell church in
origin. South doorway with carved head keystone, and chancel arch (on
renewed billet moulded inposts with grotesque head keystone with black
pebbles for eyes. Trussed rafter roof in nave, crenellated wooden barrel
roof in chancel. Similar arch to apsidal sanctuary as chancel arch
(i.e. Ashpitel's work of 1861). Apse with 7 bay blind arcade.
Fittings: C19 poppy head choir stalls (from St. Margaret's, Canterbury).
C17 pulpit with heavily enriched arcaded sides, the top panels with strap-
work and modillion cornice to top rail with triple scrolled book rest.
Profuse guilloche enrichment. The base renewed. (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983,
Listing NGR: TR3344249315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings