This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9257 / 52°55'32"N
Longitude: -1.1962 / 1°11'46"W
OS Eastings: 454133
OS Northings: 336775
OS Grid: SK541367
Mapcode National: GBR 8HW.JD1
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.LQLH
Entry Name: Building D34 (fire station) at Boots Factory Site
Listing Date: 14 April 1987
Last Amended: 26 April 2013
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247933
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429356
Location: Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG90
Local Authority Ward: Beeston Rylands
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Beeston
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
The fire station at the Boots factory, known as D34, erected in 1938 to the designs of Sir Evan Owen Williams, with additions of c1978.
A reinforced concrete external frame with cantilever beams.
Rectangular in plan, the building is 8 bays deep and 3 bays wide.
The fire station has a concrete plinth and concrete roofs. The higher, central appliance house has clerestory windows and is flanked by a single-storey, parapeted addition. There are metal, Crittall windows. The front entrance has central, full height doors flanked by single casements in set back wings and in each return angle, full-height glazing. The square hose tower has diagonal bracing, with glass brick infill. A long lamp-light is attached to the wall at the top centre of the entrance. The structural engineering of this building is similar to that of the D6 building and is of the same date. Additions of c.1978 are not of special interest.
The interior has a glazed tile dado.
Jesse Boot, son of John Boot, of the Boots Pure Drug Co., now Boots UK, took the decision to construct a model factory in the 1920s and acquired 156 acres of land to the south of Beeston. In constructing his purpose-built factory Jesse Boot made direct reference to American corporate working models aimed at creating a modern industrial environment – spacious, light and healthy for the workers – alongside the introduction of efficient, process-driven design. The modular, extendable and process-driven scheme reflected the fast changing needs of industrial production. Such concepts of appropriateness and suitability for purpose – using the latest structural techniques and materials – were a driving force in the construction of D10, the wet processes factory (constructed 1930-32) and D6, the dry processes factory (constructed 1937-38), both designed by the civil engineer Sir Evan Owen Williams.
D34, the site fire station, was also constructed in 1938 possibly to quell fires in the dry processes factory near which it sits, and also perhaps as a test model for the innovative construction of D6. It has a small side extension added in c.1978.
Building D34, the fire station at the Boots factory site, erected in 1938, to the designs of Sir Evan Owen Williams, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: it is a model in engineering design of its neighbour D6, and has significant architectural interest;
* Architect: it was designed by Williams, one of the most influential and innovative engineering architects of the C20;
* Historic Interest: it is an outstanding example of reinforced concrete engineering, with unprecedented 9 metre cantilevers in the single-storey wings;
* Group Value: strong group value with Buildings D10 and D6, listed at Grade l, (for which it acted as the fire station) and D90, listed at Grade ll*.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings