History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Swiss Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Matlock Town, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1341 / 53°8'2"N

Longitude: -1.5472 / 1°32'49"W

OS Eastings: 430394

OS Northings: 359755

OS Grid: SK303597

Mapcode National: GBR 58X.KNG

Mapcode Global: WHCDP.6HJ5

Entry Name: Swiss Cottages

Listing Date: 26 October 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248035

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429499

Location: Matlock Town, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Matlock Town

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Matlock St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Matlock Bank

Listing Text

1. MATLOCK GREEN
1390 MATLOCK
------------
Nos 38 & 40
SK 3059 5/97 (Swiss Cottages)

II

2.
Circa 1850. Built by Joseph Paxton. A symmetrical pair of 2-storeyed
stone houses. Central gable and window having 3 arched lights in plain
surround; an open porch at each side with rusticated openings at front
and on returned sides, having semi-circular heads and keyblocks; recessed
wings at sides each having a window with plain dog-eared lintel above a
semi-circular headed window with wheel fanlight; false quoins at sides;
bold open eaves and gable verges; low-pitch slate roof.

GV shall be inserted

The group value note - Footbridge at north side of Nos 38 and 40 and Bridge House form a group with Nos 38 and 40 (Swiss Cottages) - should be inserted.

---------------------------------------------

1. MATLOCK GREEN
1390 MATLOCK

Nos 38 & 40
(Swiss Cottages)
SK 3059 5/97

II

2.
Circa 1850. Built by Joseph Paxton. A symmetrical pair of 2-storeyed
stone houses. Central gable and window having 3 arched lights in plain
surround; an open porch at each side with rusticated openings at front
and on returned sides, having semi-circular heads and keyblocks; recessed
wings at sides each having a window with plain dog-eared lintel above a
semi-circular headed window with wheel fanlight; false quoins at sides;
bold open eaves and gable verges; low-pitch slate roof.


Listing NGR: SK3039459755

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.