History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Gate and Castle Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Arundel, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8556 / 50°51'20"N

Longitude: -0.5555 / 0°33'19"W

OS Eastings: 501769

OS Northings: 107227

OS Grid: TQ017072

Mapcode National: GBR FJ6.BCF

Mapcode Global: FRA 96QV.3D8

Entry Name: Town Gate and Castle Walls

Listing Date: 7 October 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 297200

Location: Arundel, Arun, West Sussex, BN18

County: West Sussex

District: Arun

Civil Parish: Arundel

Built-Up Area: Arundel

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Arundel St Nicholas with Tortington

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Arundel

Listing Text

1.
5401 HIGH STREET
(East Side)

Town gate and Castle Walls
TQ 0107 1/92

II GV


2.
1850 (Date panel). Upper greensand. Ashlar plinth, coping and dressings: otherwise
rock-faced rustication.
Lodge adjoining gate is rectangular with 4 smaller rectangular turrets at angles.
Pointed archway with machicolation above. Wall has crenellated parapet, with
bartizans on outer side and semi-circular bastions on inner side. The Town Gate
and Castle Walls were built as a result of the proposal of 1833 whereby the Duke
of Norfolk undertook to build a new Town Hall at his own expense, in return for
the gift of the north part of the High Street, which he wished to enclose within
the Castle grounds [Town Hall Deeds]. The Town Hall was complete by 1338 [Borough
Council Archives]. The new London Road was built in 1341 [Arundel Castle Archives],
so presumably the upper part of the High Street was appropriated then. The houses
on the east side, north of No 34 were pulled down by 1546 [print of Triumphal Arch
of flowers on site of present Town Gate at time of Queen Victoria's visit in 1846].
The walls and gatehouse, however, only date from 1850 [date panel].

Nos 18 to 34 (even) with the Castle Walls and Town Gates form a group.


Listing NGR: TQ0175607233

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.