This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.107 / 53°6'25"N
Longitude: -1.5616 / 1°33'41"W
OS Eastings: 429446
OS Northings: 356736
OS Grid: SK294567
Mapcode National: GBR 599.8A3
Mapcode Global: WHCDV.Z5KF
Entry Name: The Arkwright Houses
Listing Date: 21 January 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429646
Location: Cromford, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Cromford
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Cromford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Derby
1390 NORTH STREET
The Arkwright Houses Nos 14-29
SK 2956 668/1/16C
Row of 16 houses. Built 1776-7 by Richard Arkwright to accommodate textile workers. Coursed rubble; tiled roofs. Brick ridge stacks. This and the row opposite (nos 1-11) are the first of the workers' houses erected by Arkwright and mark an important stage in the development of the textile industry and workers' housing in that they provided both accommodation for the workers at his new Cromford Mill and workshop space on the second floor. The unnumbered house, although part of the row, is double fronted and had no workshop and was probably the manager's house. Originally single unit with services to rear (the earliest services appear to have been small gabled wings to the rear: see gable scars). 3 storeys, two domestic and the top floor for workshops which it is understood extended uninterrupted along the entire floor of the row. Side stairs against end and party walls behind and to one side of the front entrance; 2-bay front elevations, the entrance bay with no windows above to 1st floor; the other with 2-light stone mullioned windows to ground and 1st floor and 4-light windows to 2nd (workshop) floor. Doorways with substantial rectangular lintels and crude capitals and bases to imposts, all tooled. The windows originally had one fixed and leaded casement and one sliding sash. Moulded stone eaves cornice extends along entire length of row. The full set of 4-light workshop windows survives to nos 15, 16, 19, 24, 25 and 26 only, all others have 2 lights blocked; all 2nd-floor windows with casements, the complete sets with leaded lights. First and ground floor windows either with casements or with the renewed original scheme of fixed casement and sash. Rear of nos 22-27 with 1;later storeyed outshuts with 2-light windows of varying sizes, generally with C20 casements; 2 large brick stacks break lean-to roof; these outshuts post-date the 1841 Tithe Map.
Listing NGR: SK2944656735
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings