History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St John the Baptist Supporting Retaining Wall and Attached Boundary Walls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Matlock Town, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1311 / 53°7'51"N

Longitude: -1.5616 / 1°33'41"W

OS Eastings: 429426

OS Northings: 359416

OS Grid: SK294594

Mapcode National: GBR 58X.N0P

Mapcode Global: WHCDN.ZKJH

Entry Name: Chapel of St John the Baptist Supporting Retaining Wall and Attached Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 26 October 1972

Last Amended: 22 April 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429658

Location: Matlock Town, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Matlock Town

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Matlock St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Matlock Bank

Listing Text

In the entry for:-
ST JOHN'S ROAD
SK 25 NE (off Cliff Road)

6/1A Chapel of St John the
Baptist

II

The entry shall be amended to read:-

SK 2959 MATLOCK ST JOHN'S ROAD
(off Cliff Road)
Matlock Bath

4/111 Chapel of St John the
Baptist, supporting
retaining. wall and
attached boundary walls

II*

Chapel supporting retaining wall and attached boundary walls and
integral trough. 1897, by E. Guy Dawber, for Mrs Louisa Sophia
Harris. Rubble carboniferous limestone, of massive construction
in lower part of the retaining wall, with ashlar gritstone
dressings. Stone slates, laid to diminishing courses, replaced
in concrete tiles to south slope, and with a single moulded
ashlar coped gable to the east with kneelers and finals. Single
cell chapel, with small square bell turret, beneath lead-covered pyramidal roof, projecting from south elevation. West entrance
front has central pointed-arched doorway in moulded ashlar
surround, with a wooden gabled porch which continues to the north
and down the north side of the chapel as a lean-to covered walk.
Above the porch, a 3-light chamfered million window above in the
gable, a tiny Keyhole lancet. The west facade has two 4 light
chamfered mullion windows, each light with a roundhead, then a
flat buttress which rises to the bell turret. Beyond this, an
oriel window with 4 chamfered mullioned lights. The east gable
has a 4 light reticulated tracery pointed arched window. The
interior contains many fine Arts and Craft fittings, including
a perpendicular style rood screen by E Guy Dawbar, decorated
ceiling plaster work by George Bankart, a painted wooden altar
piece by John Cooke, and stained glass in the east window by
Louis Davis. The remainder of the fittings include pulpit, pews
and choir stalls, probably also by Dawbar, and pendant light
fittings. The chapel, which was never consecrated is the only
church designed by Dawber. The chapel stands upon a massive
retaining wall, itself constructed of massive blocks of
limestone, laid roughly to courses. The wall extends 45 metres
to the west, and incorporates a stone water trough, and 10 metres
to the east, it forms a boundary wall which encloses the approach
to the chapel.

------------------------------------


SK 25 NE ST JOHN'S ROAD
6/1A (OFF CLIFF ROAD)

Chapel of St John
the Baptist

II

Chapel,1897 designed by E Guy Dawber. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings.
Graduated slate roof with a single moulded ashlar coped gable to the east with
kneelers and finials. Single cell chapel with small square bell turret projecting
from north facade. West entrance front has central pointed arched doorway in moulded
ashlar surround, with wooden gabled porch which continues to the left and down the
side of the chapel as a lean-to covered walk. Above the porch a 3 light chamfered
mullion window,above in the gable a tiny key-hole lancet. The west facade has 2,4-
light chamfered mullion windows, each light with a round head then a flat buttress
which rises to the bell turret and beyond an oriel window with 4 chamfered mullioned
lights. The east front has a 4 light reticulated tracery pointed arched window.
The interior contains many fine Arts and Crafts fittings,a Perpendicular style rood
scream by E Guy Dawber,plaster ceiling by George Bankart, painted wooden altar piece
by John Cooke. The remainder of the fittings include pulpit pews and choir stalls
are probably also by Dawber.

-------------------------------------------


1. ST JOHN'S ROAD
1390 MATLOCK BATH

Chapel of St John the Baptist
SK 2959 4/111
C

2.
1897. Architect, Sir Guy Dawber. Early English Gothic style in the manner
of Bodley. Of uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings, surmounting,
and flanked by, massive retaining walls. Nave, chancel, spire, belleote
and west loggia. In a picturesque set-ring on the side of the cliff.


Listing NGR: SK2942659416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.