This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1426 / 53°8'33"N
Longitude: -1.5518 / 1°33'6"W
OS Eastings: 430080
OS Northings: 360698
OS Grid: SK300606
Mapcode National: GBR 58Q.Y8X
Mapcode Global: WHCDP.48BN
Entry Name: Former Smedley's Hydropathic (County Council Offices)
Listing Date: 26 October 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248195
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429661
Location: Matlock Town, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Matlock Town
Built-Up Area: Matlock
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Matlock Bank All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
1. SMEDLEY STREET
Former Smedley's Hydropathic
(County Council Offices)
SK 36 SW 8/114
The original wing built by Smedley, 1867. Stone; 4 storeys; 11 windows
fitted with modern sashes; sill bands; castellated parapets. Later single-
storeyed addition on south side with 4 circular windows. 4-storeyed wing
on east side, an addition of circa 1885 by George Statham of Nottingham,
has tower on left- hand side with square mansard roof surmounted by iron
cresting and corona. Much of the original interior has been retained.
Forms part of a very large and complex building having numerous later additions
and alterations, the whole prominently sited high above the town.
Listing NGR: SK3008060698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings