This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5348 / 52°32'5"N
Longitude: 0.9774 / 0°58'38"E
OS Eastings: 602037
OS Northings: 297156
OS Grid: TM020971
Mapcode National: GBR SDJ.1XW
Mapcode Global: VHKBX.WKL6
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 16 July 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248331
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220183
Location: Great Ellingham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17
Civil Parish: Great Ellingham
Built-Up Area: Great Ellingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ellingham Great St James
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM 09 NW GREAT ELLINGHAM CHURCH STREET
5/21 Church of St. James
Parish church. Mainly early C14, restored 1900-20. Flint with ashlar dressings
and gabled lead roof. West tower, nave, aisles and continuous chancel. 3
stage tower with diagonal buttresses to west, angle to east.Chequered flushwork
base and west door of double quadrant mouldings, 3-light Perpendicular west
window with transom and hood mould. 2-light Y belfrey windows cinquefoiled.
Chequered flushwork battlemented parapet above string course. Short octagonal
leaded needle spire. Diagonal buttresses to north aisle. 2-light west window
of divergent mouchettes and segmental window arch. North porch with 4-centred
arch below statue niche, both with hoods. Inner wall arch to west and 2-light
cusped window. Inner door with undercut hollow and wave mouldings. Butt purlin
roof. Remainder of aisle windows as west except last bay (the Mortimer chapel)
: north window C2O, 3 lights; east window 3-light cusped intersecting ogees.
Blocked 4-centred door with fleurons. String course of chapel continuous with
chancel. 3 tall 2-light chancel windows with cinquefoil arches supporting
double reticulation within larger unit. Hood moulds form continuous string
course. Eastern angle buttresses. East wall chequered flushwork. 5-light
east window divided 2-1-2 with heavily cusped arches supporting elementary
petal motif below encircled quatrefoil vesica. 2 3-light chancel south windows
with convergent mouchettes and hoods forming string course. Arched priest's
door between. South aisle east window as Mortimer chapel. 3 stepped buttresses
and early C20 2 and 3-light windows. Arched south door. Clerestory walls
of knapped chequered flushwork containing 5 2-light windows on both sides,
those to west halved by tower. Interior 4 bay arcade, quatrefoil between
fillets on south with moulded bases and capitals, similar but with sunk quadrant
to north and polygonal capitals. Double sunk quadrant arches, including tower
arch. Clerestory windows behind deep reveals above piers. Nave roof of tie
beams on arched braces dropping to head corbels with traceried spandrels.
Short King posts and braces to ridge piece. Wall plate with boxed ashlaring.
Renewed principals. C18 chancel rooLof, thin, false hammerbeams. Aisle roofs
from restoration. Early C18 gallery at west supported on pair of timber Doric
pilasters below metoped frieze. Gate with H hinges. Second stage forms ringing
chamber. Mid C14 octagonal font with Kentish tracery panels and shields and
fleurons below bowl. Part of C15 painted screen with elaborate traceried fields
above dado of foliated encircled trefoils. Rood loft stairs blocked on north
side. 2 painted consecration crosses on south wail and remains of wall painting
of Pilgrims approaching shrine. Wide sculptural niche under tripartite nodding
ogee vault, cusped with crockets and finials. Remains of painting including
good torso of Angel, probably late C14. Remains of parclose screen to south-
east chapel with petal tracery of same date. Chapel has piscina under foliated
cinquefoil head and bench sedilia. Jambs remain of chancel sedilia.
Listing NGR: TM0203797156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings