History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rockside Hall of Residence to Matlock College of Further Education

A Grade II Listed Building in Matlock, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.1446 / 53°8'40"N

Longitude: -1.5498 / 1°32'59"W

OS Eastings: 430210

OS Northings: 360924

OS Grid: SK302609

Mapcode National: GBR 58Q.YSZ

Mapcode Global: WHCDP.5783

Entry Name: Rockside Hall of Residence to Matlock College of Further Education

Listing Date: 28 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248375

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429967

Location: Matlock Town, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Matlock Town

Built-Up Area: Matlock

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Matlock Bank All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Matlock Bank

Listing Text

8/153A (North Side)

Rockside Hall of Residence
to Matlock College
of Further Education


College Hall of Residence, formerly a Hydropathic Establishment. Built c 1860 largely
extended by Parker and Unwin 1901-05 in the Art Nouveau Style. Further extensions
1923 and 1928,converted to a college c 1950. Coursed rubble with ashlar and red brick
dressings and some rendering with plain tile roofs. 3 storey mid C19 original block
with 7 bay south front with ashlar coped gables and kneelers plus 2 ashlar gable
stacks. This front has some original glazing bar sashes, and some C20 casements.
Attached to the east end and projecting 7 bays to the south is the tall 5 storey
plus attic extension wing added by Parker and Unwin. This wing has continuous ashlar
lintel bands with pronounced stone buttresses rising the full height of the building
and topped by tall brick stacks, with chamfered ashlar caps. The upper floor is
jettied and rendered. All the windows in this block are glazing bar cross casements,
many with shallow canted bay windows within the wall surface. The south entrance
front has a single central doorway with windows above and octagonal corner turrets
to eitherside, these project above the roof line with slightly jettied towers sur-
mounted by hipped roofs crowned with octagonal wooden cupolas. Projecting eastward
from the north corner of this building is a 2 storey block with on the ground floor
3 large round arched ashlar openings. The left hand arch has a doorway, the two
right hand arches have double carriage doors. Above is an overhanging tent like
glazed canopy of wood and metal. The upper floor is a conservatory, probably added
1923, with a curved glass roof. The entrance from the east has central part glazed
double doors, and similar part glazed side panels, with at the corners elongated
scroll brackets. Projecting to the north, and attached to the eastern corner of the
original block is a stepped 3 storey, mid C19 wing which is rendered and has margin
light sashes. This wing is attached to the rear, Cavendish Road block built 1928
of 3 storeys and 10 bays wide, topped with a parapet and a small square tower to
the west and a large square tower to the east. This block is also rendered. The
north street front has an off-centre doorway to the left with a small window beyond
to the right 3 larger windows, then 2 garage doors and another door beyond. Above
10 large windows and above again 10 more windows. All these windows have their
original metal frame glazing bar casement ,under ashlar chamfered lintels. To the
rear of this range is a single storey gymnasium building probably also designed by
Parker and Unwin. The interior still retains its original staircases and many of
its original fittings including fireplaces and corner cupboards with metal hinges.
Many of these fittings are decorated with heart shaped Art Nouveau style motifs.

Listing NGR: SK3021060923

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.