History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Selbys Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Hildenborough, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2053 / 51°12'19"N

Longitude: 0.2429 / 0°14'34"E

OS Eastings: 556779

OS Northings: 147512

OS Grid: TQ567475

Mapcode National: GBR MNZ.87K

Mapcode Global: VHHQ0.5Y8W

Entry Name: Selbys Farmhouse

Listing Date: 20 October 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248431

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179629

Location: Hildenborough, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hildenborough

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hildenborough St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Tonbridge

Listing Text

HILDENBOROUGH POWDER MILL LANE (east side)
TQ 54 NE
5/196 Selbys Farmhouse
20.10.54
GV II

Former farmhouse. Circa late C15 origins, partly rebuilt in the late C17.
framed construction to the north wing, the ground floor underbuilt in brick,
the first floor tile-hung. The main range is brick, the first floor framed
and tile-hung; peg-tile roof, slate roof to outshut; brick stacks.

Plan and Development: Complex evolution. A west-facing L plan house, the
main range 2 cells with a 2-cell rear (north) wing at right angles. The wing
is the earliest surviving part of the building and dates from the circa late
C15. The west end cell of the wing was jettied on the west end and north side
with a solar over the ground floor room. The east end cell was a small l-bay
open hearth room, perhaps the kitchen, although its position is not
particularly convenient for the medieval hall. The main range, presumably the
site of the original hall, was rebuilt in the late C17. The axial stack
between the solar wing and the main range is weathered below the present main
range roof level and probably served the hall in the circa late C16 before the
late C17 rebuilding. The main range now contains 2 heated rooms, the south
end room heated from an end stack, and has a rear outshut, also with a south
end stack. Lobby entrance against the axial stack.

Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 3-window west front, the roof
hipped over the wing at the left end; late C17 projecting stack at the right
end. The axial stack has staggered triple chimneyshafts with corbelled
cornices and inward angled caps. C20 front door to the Lobby entrance to left
of centre. 1956 fenestration of 4-light casements with square leaded panes in
metal frames; similarly-glazed canted bay window to the right of the front
door. 2 attic dormers with hipped roofs. The north side of the wing is 3
windows, with the remains of a 1-light late C15 cusped window to first floor
right. The gabled east end of the wing has a formerly unglazed mullioned 3-
light window. C20 timber casement windows and a C20 door to the outshut with
2 gabled dormers at the junction with the main range.

Interior: The wing is particularly well-preserved. The front (west) ground
floor room has a dragon beam and large exposed joists. The brick fireplace
has a chamfered oak litel, the fireback constructed of bricks laid in
herringbone pattern. The 2-bay solar above has a fine original late medieval
crown post roof with an octagonal crown post on a moulded tie-beam with short
ach bracces, the crown post with 4-way bracing above the moulded capital. The
east end partition has a plain crown post, braced to the collar purlin. The
brick fireplace has a chamfered oak lintel. On the south wall a one-light oak
window with a cinquefoil-headed light with moulded cusping, pierced spandrels
and shutter grooves for horizontal sliding shutters. The window is now
internal but originally looked out above the level of the old hall roof.
Evidence of other, similar windows, the heads cut away for later casements was
found during renovations of the 1970s. The one-bay east cell of the wing has
a heavily-sooted common rafter roof. The north room fo the main block has a
large open fireplace.

Mr J.M. Edwards has researched the history of Selbys. In 1480 it was called
Romneys and occupied by a family of that name. From the late C16 to the late
C17 it was owned by a series of city merchant families in the cloth trade
('Dachurst Manor and Selbys Farm', text of a talk by J.M. Edwards to the Leigh
Historical Society, 21:2:86).

An evolved house with an important and well-preserved late medieval solar
wing.

Report and photographs following an RCHM survey of 1975 in the National
Monument Record.


Listing NGR: TQ5677947512

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.