History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Standerwick Farm

A Grade II* Listed Building in Babcary, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0604 / 51°3'37"N

Longitude: -2.5977 / 2°35'51"W

OS Eastings: 358206

OS Northings: 129174

OS Grid: ST582291

Mapcode National: GBR MQ.FHPC

Mapcode Global: FRA 56F9.ZR0

Entry Name: Standerwick Farm

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1248456

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263338

Location: Babcary, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Babcary

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
East Lydford

Listing Text

BABCARY CP PYLE WELL LANE
ST52NE
HIGHER FODDINGTON
3/18
Standerwick Farm
17.4.59
- II*
Detached farmhouse. Circa 1400 and c1550, with later modifications. Local grey lias stone roughly cut and squared,
Doulting and Ham stone dressings; double Roman clay tile roofs, gabled, with some copings; brick and stone chimney
stacks. L-plan; 2 storeys, the southern section with attic; west elevation 5 bays. Bays 1 to 3 represent the earlier
building, with hollow-chamfer mullioned windows in wave mould reveals, with square labels; to lower bays 1 and 2 flat
arched lights of 3 and 2 lights respectively; to lower bay 3 an earlier 2-light window with 4-centre arched lights;
above C20 windows to match set in gables: bays 4 and 5 represent the later wing at right angles, with outshut to angle;
lower bay 4 has a 2-light C15 traceried window, bay 5 has 2-light C15 hollow chamfer mullioned windows to right of a
projecting chimney stack with offsets: between lower bays 2 and 3 a projecting porch with 4-centre moulded arch dorway
and studded boarded door set under coped gable. South elevation of 2 bays, with dividing buttress; C16 4-centre arched
light hollow chamfered mullioned windows with incised spandrels, of 4-lights bay 1 and 2-lights upper bay 2; a late:
doorway below currently protected by C20 conservatory with stone wing walls and clay tile roof. Inside the lower
earlier portion has one fine ground floor room with a 9-panel ceiling having deep moulded beams, C17 wall panelling and
a fireplace surround, possibly C15, relocated from first floor: south portion has circular stone stair to first floor,
and one good main room with a 9-panel ceiling having chamfered beams, a moulded cambered arched fireplace with carved
shields in spandrels and apparently early herringbone brick fireback, and a chamfered edge elm overlap board partition;
the roof to the north portion of C20, but to the south portion (not inspected) said to be of original date; on 1859
photograph in the house shows that both roofs were originally thatched. Quite possibly a manor house; north of the
house are the unexcavated remains of a medieval village; to the east is a fishpond, and there are substantial traces of
a moat.


Listing NGR: ST5820629174

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.