This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7233 / 52°43'23"N
Longitude: -1.8527 / 1°51'9"W
OS Eastings: 410042
OS Northings: 313970
OS Grid: SK100139
Mapcode National: GBR 3BX.6DD
Mapcode Global: WHCGG.HTY4
Entry Name: Hanch Hall
Listing Date: 27 February 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1248899
English Heritage Legacy ID: 430696
Location: Longdon, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13
Civil Parish: Longdon
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Longdon St James
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
LONGDON C.P. LYSWAYS LANE (south
SK 11 SW side)
11/96 Hanch Hall
Country house. Essentially an early C18 house of at least two phases
incorporating earlier material; important additions and alterations
of circa 1840. Red brick (Flemish bond); hipped plain tile and slate
roofs; brick ridge stacks. Aligned north-east/south-west facing south-
east. Circa 1840 a porte cochere was added to the south-west, a stair
wing to the north-west and a ballroom and servants wing to the north-
east. South-east elevation. 2 storeys with dentilled eaves cornice
and balustraded parapet. 2:3:2 bays with brick pilaster strips at
the corners; central break of circa 1730 with quoins of unequal length
and a pediment containing a blind keyed oculus. 12-pane glazing bar
sashes with moulded sill strings and lintels stepped as voussoirs.
Those to the ground floor have lugged and moulded architraves with panels
below, in common with the windows of the central break. The first
floor window have strapwork aprons of circa 1840. Central first floor
window with Gibbsian surround. Central half-glazed door with rusticated
surround. Attached ballroom and servant's wing set-back to the right.
In front is an L-shaped stone loggia of circa 1840 with round arches,
raised keystones and hood moulds. Set-back to the left is porte cochere.
South-west elevation. 3 storeys at the left hand side with storey
bands. The principal feature of the south-west front is a 2-storey
porte-cochere of 3 bays. Semi-circular arches with strapwork moulded
columns and raised keys with lions' heads. Strapwork balustrade.
The porte cochere was built in front of an C18 brick porch to each side
of which was added 3-bay arcade. Immediately to the left of the porch
an expanse of ashlar masonry is visible behind one of the arches.
This is the chimney stack of a C16/C17 house. The porch has a 6-panel
door with bracketed and pedimented doorcase and a rectangular overlight.
To the right of the door is a narrow loophole which served a butler's
lodge. North-west elevation. Completely remodelled circa 1840.
Crosswings of 2 storeys and attic with finialed Dutch gables flank a
slightly recessed 3-storey range. Central stair wing with stone plinth,
quoins of unequal length and a strapwork balustrade, surrounding a louvred
belvedere with lead covered dome, carrying the inscription "Mox. Nox".
Stone mullioned windows with raised surrounds, dentilled string beneath
third floor windows. Massive 4-light stair window with 2 transoms.
Service wing of circa 1840 attached to the left. 2 storeys with dentilled
eaves band; 2:1:2 windows in a similar style to those of the main house.
Interior. The main entrance by way of the porte cochere leads into
a vestibule with C18 oak panelling incorporating a door which gives
access to the butler's lodge. Entrance hall. Early C18 wall panelling
incorporating fluted pilasters. The raised panels are alternately
raised and square headed and are gradually reduced in width away from
the vestibule to create a false perspective. A 3-bay arcade of semi-
circular arches on strapwork moulded pillars screens the main staircase
from the entrance hall. The Oak Room. C17 oak wall panelling incorpor-
ating doors. In the north-east- wall is a C19 four-centred archway
with panelled spandrels and ogee-moulded surround which formerly gave
access to another small panelled room. Corner fireplace with bolection
moulded surround. C19 oak window shutter on chains. The Morning
Room. Plaster ceiling with early C18 cornice of dentils, egg and dart,
Greek key and cyma recta moulded bands. C19 inner border decorated
with gilloche and paterae. The Drawing Room. Early C18. Large
plaster wall panels with heavy moulded surrounds, five 6-panel doors,
each with lugged architrave, dentilled cornice, and pediment with festoons
over. Plaster ceiling cornice with modillions and egg and dart.
Marble fireplace with fluted key. The Dining Room. Plaster ceiling
revealing the underlying structure of interlocking beams. The beams
have gilloche ornament along their spines; panels between the beams
with dentils, egg and dart, and Greek key mouldings. Early C18 marble
fireplace. Towards the north-east end of the room screening the entrance
is an arcade of 2 red scagliola pillars with a frieze of paterae around
the caps. The Ballroom. Circa 1840. Mahagony wall panelling
with raised panels. Marble fireplace with paired Tuscan columns.
Musicians alcove at the north-east end. 3 massive foliated cast iron
ceiling roses, possibly made at Coalbrookdale. In the servants' wing
is a fireplace with C19 oak surround incorporating earlier material
including a C17 frieze with exuberant foliage, cornucopias, fruit and
acorns; and 2 carved panels depicting the story of Noah, probably late
C15. C19 open-well main staircase with closed string, strapwork balustrade,
strapwork moulded newels with ogee finials. Fully panelled staircase
wall incorporting some C17 panelling. C16/C17 frieze of segmental
pointed panels with Gothic tracery and crenellated piers. Above the
staircase is a C19 wooden rib vaulted ceiling. At first floor level
2 of the front rooms have an C18 plaster ceiling cornice. At mezzanine
level directly above the entrance passage the walls are timber framed,
probably C16. Leading to a room at this level is a C19 staircase with
reused C18 balusters. The room formerly communicated with a second
room in the north-west corner of the house, with C17 oak panelling and
a C16 sandstone fireplace with Tudor arch, sunken spandrels and ogee-
moulded surround. Directly above this room is a reused roof truss,
C15 or C16, with slightly cambered tie beam and a king-post which appears
to replace the original vertical member; the principals are set in from
the ends of the tie beam. Elsewhere, mainly pegged king-post roof
trusses. Extensive brick vaulted cellars with vaulted passage or drainage
channel leading into the park. B.o.E. p. 197.
Listing NGR: SK1004213970
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings