History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Office Block, Vauxhall Motors

A Grade II Listed Building in Crawley, Luton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.8735 / 51°52'24"N

Longitude: -0.3938 / 0°23'37"W

OS Eastings: 510675

OS Northings: 220657

OS Grid: TL106206

Mapcode National: GBR TX7.G4

Mapcode Global: VHFRN.455L

Entry Name: Office Block, Vauxhall Motors

Listing Date: 26 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249000

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35860

Location: Luton, LU2

County: Luton

Electoral Ward/Division: Crawley

Built-Up Area: Luton

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Luton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 12 SW

KIMPTON ROAD (south side)
Office Block, Vauxhall Motors

Office block. 1907 by H.B Cresswell for Vauxhall Iron Works. English garden wall band plum brick with red brick raised quoins and dressings; flat roof; brick stacks with stone cornicing. William and Mary style. 2 storeys; 9-window range with 3-bay centre flanked by slightly-projecting 3-bay outer wings. Panelled double doors set in keyed square-headed stone architrave with Vauxhall emblem set in tympanum of broken segmental pediment. 18-pane ground-floor sashes set in square-headed red brick architraves and 15-pane first-floor sashes set in similar keyed architraves; central windows have rusticated jambs and raised red brick aprons, and keyed stone architrave to central first-floor window; moulded red brick cornice beneath stone-coped parapet.

Interior: octagonal lantern lights, large 2-storey central hall with fine double-flight turned-baluster staircase to gallery with similar balustrade; panelled and glazed partitions, separate hall from plain surrounding offices. Fine panelled boardroom to first-floor, in the style of c.1700 with panelled doors, carved swags, bolection panelling and decorative plaster ceiling.

Blocks attached to left and right not of special architectural or historic interest.

Listing NGR: TL1067520657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.