This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2446 / 52°14'40"N
Longitude: -0.9548 / 0°57'17"W
OS Eastings: 471458
OS Northings: 261222
OS Grid: SP714612
Mapcode National: GBR BW5.CDD
Mapcode Global: VHDRY.DVL6
Entry Name: St Crispin Hospital Chapel
Listing Date: 17 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249273
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431359
Location: Upton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN5
Civil Parish: Upton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Duston St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
UPTON BERRYWOOD ROAD
SP 7160 NW
St Crispin Hospital
Chapel. 1887 by Robert Griffiths of Stafford; minor C20 alterations. Rock-faced
ironstone in small rectangular blocks, limestone dressings and plain tile roofs.
Chancel, vestry, organ chamber, aisled nave and south porch. Early Gothic style.
Chancel has 3-light east window with large roundel to head, filled with 7 small
roundels and hood mould. Single-light windows north and south with quatrefoils
to heads. Organ chamber to south side has octagonal east window with plate
tracery of 8 roundels surrounding 8-foiled central rounded; cinquefoiled rose
window to south. Vestry to north side has 2-light east window with Y-tracery
and roll-moulded east door with hood mould. 1-light cinquefoil-headed windows
to north and porch with blocked round trefoil-headed door with hood mould and
cusped 1-light window to east side. Nave has quatrefoil clerestory windows
above aisles, which stop short of 2 western bays of nave and have 2-light windows
with Y-tracery and geometrical tracery to alternate windows. Those to west
ends of aisles have hood moulds. South door has chamfered arch, double-leaf
door with ornamental hinges and hood mould. South porch has double-chamfered
doorway with dog-toothed hood mould and cusped 1-light windows to east and west.
West end of nave or narthex has 1-light windows at high level north and south
with quatrefoils to heads and polygonal stair turret to south-west. Turret
serves gallery and has roll-moulded door to south, arcaded upper storey, blank
to east and with small 1-light chamfered windows to other sides and pyramidal
roof with wrought-iron finial. West front of nave has 4-bay arcade with shafts,
moulded bases and capitals and hood mould framing pair of central doors, roll-
moulded and with caernarvon-arched heads and blank quatrefoils above, flanked
by lancet windows. 3-light west window with 8-foiled roundel to head and hood
mould. Bell-cote to gable with dog-toothed arch framing bell and tall gable
with wrought-iron finial and weather-vane. Chamfered plinth, string courses
and chamfered stone eaves. Stone-coped gables with kneelers. Foliated stone
cross to chancel gable, wrought-iron cross to east gable of nave. Offset angle
buttresses and offset buttresses between bays. Interior: Chancel has raised
sanctuary with ornamental tiled reredos and side walls, encaustic tiled floors
and scissor truss roof. Nave has 4-bay arcades with circular columns, chamfered
plinths, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. West gallery with rooms
below either side of entrance passages said to have been formerly used for
observing patients' behaviour. Arch-braced collar truss roof and encaustic
tiled floors. Complete scheme of polychromatic decoration and wall paintings
of historical, biblical and legendary figures with portrait heads of well-known
local residents and members of staff, by H Bird and G H B Holland of 1953.
Early C18 small veined white marble octagonal font with moulded bowl on baluster,
moulded plinth and black marble base. Polygonal stone pulpit with timber handrail
to steps. Complete set of pitch pine pews, stalls and desks. Organ of 1905
in painted case.
(Buildings of England, Northants, 1973, p385).
Listing NGR: SP7145861222
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings