This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3906 / 52°23'26"N
Longitude: -2.2587 / 2°15'31"W
OS Eastings: 382492
OS Northings: 276986
OS Grid: SO824769
Mapcode National: GBR 0BF.5RL
Mapcode Global: VH91T.S5SP
Entry Name: Kidderminster General Hospital Including Revetment and Front Area Railings to South West
Listing Date: 20 October 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431581
Location: Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY11
District: Wyre Forest
Town: Wyre Forest
Civil Parish: Kidderminster
Built-Up Area: Kidderminster
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Kidderminster Ismere
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/05/2018
Bradley Thursfield Court
Former Kidderminster General Hospital including revetment and front area railings to south west
(Formerly listed as Kidderminster General Hospital including revetment and front area railings to south west, MILL STREET)
Former hospital, converted to apartments by 1999. Built 1870-1871 by J G Bland; extended in 1886, 1888, 1902 and 1926. Red brick with blue brick and limestone dressings. Steeply pitched plain tile roof, hipped at centre and gabled at ends. Large brick axial and lateral stacks with set offs. High Victorian Gothic style.
PLAN: Small example of pavilion plan with central administration block with entrance and stairs and axially-flanking wards. 1926 extension on south east not of special interest.
EXTERIOR: Three and two storeys. Symmetrical 2:4:3:3:3:4:5 bays. The central three storey three-bay administration block has hipped roof with finials and cresting, flanking large stacks and projecting gabled centre bay with gabled porch, canted stone bay cinquefoil in tympanum of pointed arch in gable; to left and right two-light windows and three-light pointed arch ground floor windows with stone colonnettes. Flanking hipped roof pavilions, four bays with central lateral stacks and small gabled projecting wings at either end. Limestone coping with corbelled kneelers to gables, limestone and blue with bands and corbelled brick eaves. Wooden louvred ventilators over end bays with pyramidal roofs. Gabled end elevations and gabled and hipped wings at rear and at centre gabled stair wing with three lancets and quatrefoil above.
Hospital stands high above Mill Street and has tall brick revetment with depressed two-centre arch blind arcade, railings and piers above and pointed archway to dispensary on right.
INTERIOR: Open well drain stairs with cast-iron balustrade, gothic newel panelled vaulted ceiling and lancet windows with stained glass of 1888 in memory of Lady Kingsale; two small stained glass windows at back of hall.
Listing NGR: SO8249276986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings