History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queensbrry House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newmarket, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2414 / 52°14'29"N

Longitude: 0.4 / 0°24'0"E

OS Eastings: 563964

OS Northings: 263071

OS Grid: TL639630

Mapcode National: GBR N9X.KXV

Mapcode Global: VHJGH.WXBM

Entry Name: Queensbrry House

Listing Date: 4 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275732

Location: Newmarket, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Newmarket

Built-Up Area: Newmarket

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Newmarket All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Newmarket

Listing Text

TL 66 SW NEWMARKET HIGH STREET
(including EXNING) (South Side)

4/106A Queensberry House

II


MANSION HOUSE. 1898, by Col. R. W. Edis in Queen Anne style. In red brick, laid in
English Bond throughout, with plaintiled roofs. 2 storeys with basement and attics:
irregular form. The south (garden) front has a central range with 2 gabled wings:
3 hipped dormers with small-paned 2-light casement windows; a small-paned Diocletian
window in the apex of each gables. All eaves and roof-slopes have heavy wooden modillion
cornices. 6 windows to the main range: small-paned sashes with cased frames in shallow
reveals; flat gauged arches with key-stones. 4 pairs of French doors to ground floor,
each with 2 leaves of clear glass. A single-storey open veranda with a lean-to roof
supported on columns is linked to ornate timber verandas with balconies projecting
from each of the wings. Both wings have full height canted bays terminating in solid
fluted parapets with stone dressings: 2 narrow 8-pane sash windows, and a central
French door with 2 leaves, opening on to the balcony, on the upper floor; on the
ground floor, 2 full-length windows with clear glass and a central double French
door. The balconies have open balustrades and the verandas arched openings with
columns, all ornate. 2 internal and 2 end chimney-stacks, all with tall narrow shafts
and rows of high clay pots. Entrance front on the west side: the main entrance at
the north-west end. Stone doorcase with triangular pediment, ½-round columns with
moulded bases and Ionic capitals. Entrance doors up 3 steps: 2 leaves, each with
3 raised fielded panels. On each side of the external stack adjacent to the entrance
is a drainpipe with an ornate waterhead dated 1898. Much of the north side contains
service rooms, but has several different windows: mainly small-paned sashes, barred
to the basement, but also a Diocletian window to the apex of each gable, a keyed
oculus on the right, and a fine Venetian window which lights the half-landing of
the principal stair. All windows have flat gauged arches with keystones, but the
basement windows have segmental brick arches. Fine interior: the 3 principal rooms
with dentil cornices, panelled walls and shutters, all with egg-and-dart ornament,
and ornate C18 fireplace surrounds of carved woodwork and figured marble, 2 with
raised steel grates. These were all taken from the former house on the site. Imperial
stair with heavy turned balusters and plain handrails. Bathrooms and lavatories
retain their original fittings with polished mahogany casings. The house was designed
for the late Lord Wolverton. The architect, knighted in 1919, was sometime President
of the Architectural Association. His designs include many important buildings,
princially in London.
Apart from the boundary walls and gate piers (qv), the outbuildings - including the stable
block - are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TL6396463071

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.