This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1909 / 51°11'27"N
Longitude: -0.5553 / 0°33'18"W
OS Eastings: 501056
OS Northings: 144510
OS Grid: TQ010445
Mapcode National: GBR FD4.BFL
Mapcode Global: VHFVV.BB9D
Entry Name: East Manor House
Listing Date: 9 March 1960
Last Amended: 28 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291233
Location: Bramley, Waverley, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Bramley
Built-Up Area: Bramley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Bramley
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04SW BRAMLEY C.P. HIGH STREET
5/35 East Manor House
9/3/60 (Formerly listed
as East Manor
House and attached
House. Principal range circa 1540, with later C16 and C17 extensions. Timber
framed on rendered plinth with whitewashed render infill to exposed frame, some
brick cladding to ground floor and plain tiled roofs. Irregular plan with main
range to south, gabled cross wing to east end (facing street) and wing to north
at right angles. Two storeys with attics in gables. Street front:- Large gable
to right with Queen-post truss, and diagonal bracing to first floor. One leaded
five-light window to first floor, one three-light and one two-light window on
the ground floor. Offset stack to left and large C17 sandstone and brick crow-
stepped stack to left end. Single storey screen wall to left of centre with
round arched, ribbed and studded door. Left hand return front (Principal front)
facing south:- Two storeys, jettied on moulded bressumer to first floor. Four
framed bays to left with ogee bracing to first floor. Three leaded casement
windows to first floor and two small, square bay windows below with further window
between. One four-light window on each floor of gabled bay to right. Door to
right of centre at junction with cross wing, massive multiple, corbelled stacks
to ridge of rear wing to left. Rear:- Wings project to form courtyard with fine
tall, gabled stair vice with decorative half-circle framing. Door to ground floor
right with diamond shape framed panel over. Irregular, leaded fenestration above.
Interior:- Substantial quantities of framing exposed and deep brick fireplaces.
Stop chamfered spinebeams to main rooms. Original spiral central newel stair
surviving. Some wall paintings of C16 date survive - some on beams and others on
canvas attached to walls, including fragments of texts, and floral patterns.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.118.
V.C.H. (1967 Edn) Vol. III. pp.80-86.
SURREY ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS VOL. XXXVII (1926) p.83
Article on East Manor House by P.M. Johnston.
Listing NGR: TQ0105644510
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings