This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5911 / 51°35'28"N
Longitude: -0.0704 / 0°4'13"W
OS Eastings: 533767
OS Northings: 189793
OS Grid: TQ337897
Mapcode National: GBR H9.JXP
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.Q8NL
Entry Name: Mecca Bingo Hall
Listing Date: 9 December 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201539
Location: Haringey, London, N17
Electoral Ward/Division: Bruce Grove
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3389 HIGH ROAD, TOTTENHAM
800-/26/10004 Mecca Bingo Hall
Bingo hall, formerly the Tottenham Palace Theatre. 1908 by Oswald
Cane Wylson of Wylson and Long as a variety theatre. Red brick and
Bath stone. 3 storeys 7 windows. Symmetrical design with projecting
end bays. Panelled columns flank 5 pairs of part-glazed doors with
fanlights which are architraved and have keystones with gabled tops.
Projecting bays have openings with eared architraves having margin
glazed top-lights, battered cornices and gabled keystones. Long and
short quoins. Upper floor central bays with fluted Ionic pilasters
supporting a deep entablature which continues around the projecting
bays with alternating stone and brick quoins which continue as bands
on the returns. Architraved and pedimented 1st floor French windows
with overlights have a balustraded balcony continuing around
projecting bays to form projecting bracketed balconies with panel and
lozenge design baustrades. 1st floor casements have segmental eared
architraves to central bays and architraves with cornices to outer.
Central bays with parapet: projecting bays have segmental pediments
with oculi. Interior vestibule has domes to vaults with plasterwork
including shell motifs. Foyer with veined marble Ionic pilasters
flanking timber panelled and architraved openings With enriched
keystones. Elaborate plasterwork bracketed cornice and ceiling.
Auditorium has horseshoe cantilevered balcony and gods. both with
elaborately enriched balustrades including cast iron 3-branch lamps:
balcony has mask motifs. Boxes each have 3 round-arched openings with
Ionic veined marble columns supporting a deep entablature having a
central open segmental pediment containing an enriched mask: domed
ceiling behind with rays. Canted cheeks to proscenium each have a
shell aedicule containing a gilded semi-nude female figure holding a
lyre and mace. Proscenium has enriched fluted architrave with central
cartouche. Enriched plasterwork ceiling. Stalls seating has been
placed by modern tables and chairs but timber panelling to half-
height on walls remains as do original entrances and exits. The
Tottenham Palace Theatre was 1 of about 20 built complete with
kimenatograph equipment; it became a fall time cinema in 1926.
Converted for bingo 1960. It Is one of only a few surviving big
suburban variety palaces.
Listing NGR: TQ3376789793
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings