History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Machine Shop and Attached Range to West at Royal Ordnance Factory

A Grade II Listed Building in Enfield, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6688 / 51°40'7"N

Longitude: -0.0166 / 0°0'59"W

OS Eastings: 537259

OS Northings: 198532

OS Grid: TQ372985

Mapcode National: GBR KN.DHW

Mapcode Global: VHGQ8.NBL1

Entry Name: Machine Shop and Attached Range to West at Royal Ordnance Factory

Listing Date: 2 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249683

English Heritage Legacy ID: 117719

Location: Enfield, London, EN3

County: London

District: Enfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Enfield Lock

Built-Up Area: Enfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Peter and St Paul Enfield

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Enfield Lock

Listing Text

Ordnance Road
TQ 39 NE
5/291 Machine Shop and attached
range to W. at Royal Ordnance
Factory
GV II

Small arms factory. 1854-8 for Board of Ordnance. Yellow brick with
facade in polychromatic brick with red brick dressings and alternate red
and yellow brick voussoirs to arches; gabled Welsh slate roofs. L-plan with
range of subsidiary buildings to SW of Machine shop. Italianate style
front to Machine Shop. One storey; 23 window range. 3-storey clock tower
and belfry to centre, with blind arches to 2nd stage,semi-circular arches
with keystones to 3rd stage, stone impost courses and corbelled brick cornice
beneath hipped roof; lower stage has semi-circular arch over C20 door with
fanlight. Windows with glazing bars set in semi-circular arches linked by
red brick impost course; red-brick corbelling beneath frieze of diaper work
and moulded stone cornice. Right-side elevation, partly in similar style
with semi-circular arches over doors and windows, has range of 9 north-light
gables. Interior: 12x14 bays to front, defined by cast-iron columns at
20 foot intervals, supporting wrought-iron trusses with rooflights; all
columns cast withBoard of Ordnance initials. Subsidiary features: range
to west, adjoining river Lea, of brown brick with hipped Welsh slate roofs;
2-storey east elevation, of 26-window range, has raised storey band and
gauged flat brick arches over doors and 12-pane sashes; similar west elevation
has timber-framed carpenters' shop to rear. History: the machine shop was
the largest and most important of the new buildings erected on the Royal Small
Arms site in 1854-8, the result of a movement to centralize small arms
production following the poor performance of British-made guns in the early
stages of the Crimean War.

Area of machine shop of 14 x 15 bays to rear of central brick plinth and wall
is not of special architectural interest.

Part of this building is in the London Borough of Enfield.


Listing NGR: TQ3725998532

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.