This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8344 / 50°50'3"N
Longitude: -0.3969 / 0°23'48"W
OS Eastings: 512986
OS Northings: 105094
OS Grid: TQ129050
Mapcode National: GBR HM8.NGD
Mapcode Global: FRA B61W.R65
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 11 October 1949
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302215
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, BN13
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Salvington
Built-Up Area: Worthing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: West Tarring St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 1205 WORTHING ASHACRE LANE
10/78 Number 54 (even)
11.10.49 The Old House
House. Probable C15 open hall, ceiled over and chimney inserted in early C17 when a parlour wing was added to the east, extensively restored circa 1911. Timberframed building refronted in flint and render with roof mainly tiled but front slope of roof to original wing retaining Horsham stone slabs. Channelled brick stack to centre of original wing, external brick and flint stack to east of parlour wing and probable C18 brick stack to rear range. L-shaped plan. Two storeys, with attics to parlour wing; 5 windows. Front has former hall house of 3 bays to left. Three gabled dormers and three casement windows, all with early C20 leaded lights. Projecting parlour wing to right has gable hung with plain and fishscale tiles, 1;2;1 casements with leaded lights and early C20 porch on slender wooden columns and four panelled door. Rear elevation has circa 1911 gabled projection forming stair turret, two storey C17 or C18 service wing to right with one storey offices at end. Three leaded light casements. Interior has crownpost roof to original open hall with curved tiebeam, octagonal crown post with 4 headbraces, collar beam and rafters. The square crownpost to the smaller bedroom has a collar beam which is a reused beam from the top of a wallplate retaining the notches of the rafters. Ground floor has dining room with early C17 cross beams with 2 inch chamfers with lambstongue stops, c1911 stone fireplace and wooden panelling. Sitting room has open fireplace with moulded bressumer with crane marks and 2 salt recesses, but the seats and arched doorcases are early C20. Chamfered spine beam supported on wooden corbel. A series of plank doors probably assembled c1911 out of older floorboards. Parlour wing shows few visible signs of early C17 origin apart from a chamfered beam with lambs tongue stop on the first floor. The attic floor of this wing is boarded over. Old sales particulars indicate that this property was known as Cutler's House in 1795 and was later subdivided into three cottages. Later it became a farmhouse but was restored in 1911 and became a residence.
Listing NGR: TQ1298605094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings