History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Buxton with Lammas, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7558 / 52°45'20"N

Longitude: 1.3084 / 1°18'30"E

OS Eastings: 623351

OS Northings: 322704

OS Grid: TG233227

Mapcode National: GBR WG7.7LS

Mapcode Global: WHMSW.2ZBR

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 10 May 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1249960

English Heritage Legacy ID: 227979

Location: Buxton with Lammas, Broadland, Norfolk, NR10

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Buxton with Lammas

Built-Up Area: Buxton (Broadland)

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Buxton with Oxnead

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Burgh next Aylsham

Listing Text

TG 22 SW BUXTON WITH LAMMAS MILL STREET
(north side)
6/19
10/5/61 Church of St. Andrew,
Buxton.

II*

Parish Church. C14 in origin, but much restored in 1881, when the tower was
rebuilt entirely (date of restoration recorded on north porch). Flint with
limestone dressings, slate roofs over nave, north and south porches; black
glazed pantiles over chancel; lead roofs over aisles. West tower, nave, north
and south aisles, north and south porches, chancel. West tower with angle
buttresses and embattled parapet; polygonal stair turret on north side. Lean-
to vestry, in south-west angle, with quatrefoil windows. Three Perpendicular
windows on north and south of nave; bays divided by set-off buttresses with
flushwork panels on south side. Angle buttresses to aisles and east wall.
Quatrefoil windows in clerestorey and over chancel arch. 3-bay C14 arcades
with good corbel-heads at responds : octagonal piers and double-chamfered
arches. Remains of C16: screen base with original colour now re-set as part
of screen to chapel at east end of south aisle. Piscina and triple sedilia
C13 with plain arches under a continuous drip mould. Trefoil-headed piscina
in south aisle. Good monuments in chancel to Mary Ann Kent (4l773) on south
wall and to Margaret Robinson (d.1638) on north wall.


Listing NGR: TG2335122704

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.