History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-8, Tinmans Row

A Grade II Listed Building in Elmbridge, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3128 / 51°18'46"N

Longitude: -0.4071 / 0°24'25"W

OS Eastings: 511114

OS Northings: 158281

OS Grid: TQ111582

Mapcode National: GBR 44.41P

Mapcode Global: VHFVB.W8MF

Entry Name: 1-8, Tinmans Row

Listing Date: 4 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 287045

Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT11

County: Surrey

District: Elmbridge

Town: Elmbridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Cobham and Downside

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Ockham with Hatchford and Downside

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Cobham

Listing Text

TQ 15 NW TINMANS' ROW
Downside, Cobham

8/470 Nos 1-8 (consec)

- II

Row of 8 ironworkers' cottages. c1803 for Alexander Raby of Cobham Park, owner
of Downside Mill; altered and added to. Brick in irregular bond, Nos 5 and 7 rough-
cast, Nos 2 and 3 painted white. Welsh slate roofs. Handed pairs of cottages,
each of 2 storeys, 2 bays except for No 8 which has extra bay on right; added rear
outshuts and side outshut to No 1. Nos 1-4 are canted round corner, and Nos 4-8
set at a higher level because of slope of ground. Each has a central board door
in wood frame (No 3's a late C20 6-panel door) with a small 4-pane window on one
side, a larger 2-light, 16-pane window on the other, and two 2-light 8-pane windows
above (No 3's with late C20 shutters), the windows either casements or side-sliding
sashes, and some replaced by late C20 casements. Side-sliding sashes remain to:
No 1, first floor; No 2, first floor (C20 ground floor windows and oculus on right);
No 4, first floor; No 6, first floor left; No 8, both floors of left bay, first
floor of right bay with 3-light window below. All windows have wood frames with
projecting sills and flat brick arches. Roof hipped at ends of row. Shared ridge
stacks at centre of each pair. Rear: lower pent-roofed outshuts, No l's with
weather-boarded addition and No 2's raised in 1985; No 7 has flat-roofed dormer
and skylight. The original plan of Nos 1-7 was a living room and scullery on the
ground floor, and a bedroom and landing above. Alexander Raby inhabited Cobham
Park in the later C18 and operated Downside Mill until 1809 and Ember Mill, East
Molesey , until 1802. With the proceeds from the sale of Cobham Park, he invested
heavily in iron production and coal mining in Llanelli, Dyfed, from about 1795.
Downside Mill may have produced tin plate, hence the name of this row which was
originally called 'Tin Row'.


Listing NGR: TQ1111458281

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.