This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5968 / 52°35'48"N
Longitude: -1.1403 / 1°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 458326
OS Northings: 300235
OS Grid: SK583002
Mapcode National: GBR 8N1.0KG
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.GZ6M
Entry Name: Southfields Branch Library and Attached Former Child Welfare Clinic
Listing Date: 21 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432450
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Eyres Monsell
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Christopher
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20/09/2017
SK 50 SE
Southfields Branch Library and attached former Child Welfare Clinic
(Formerly listed under SAFFRON LANE)
Public library and attached child welfare clinic. 1939. Designed by Symington, Prince & Pike. Reinforced concrete with red brick cladding. Brick plinth.
Moderne style. Single storey. Complex trilobe plan, with tall circular clerestorey central hall. Entrance, to Attlee Way, has central entrance with stepped sides and a concrete canopy. Either side large casement windows. The curved corners to the west and northeast have central doors and strips of casement windows with banded brickwork below. Clinic entrance to southeast has recessed doorway with curved sides and above a recessed upper floor with double doors.
Interior retains some original built-in bookshelves, doors, stepped coving, banded columns and glazed roofs.
Listing NGR: SK5832600235
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings