History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Saracen's Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.634 / 52°38'2"N

Longitude: -1.1343 / 1°8'3"W

OS Eastings: 458686

OS Northings: 304379

OS Grid: SK586043

Mapcode National: GBR FGK.KN

Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.K221

Entry Name: The Saracen's Head Public House

Listing Date: 29 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250227

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432505

Location: Leicester, LE1

County: City of Leicester

Unitary Authority Ward: Castle

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list;

LEICESTER HOTEL STREET
SK 5804 SE
3/10042 The Saracen's Head Public House
GV II
Public house. Dated 1904. By Stockdale Harrison. Red brick with burnt headers in part as
decoration and stone windows and dressings. Glazed brick plinth. Steeply pitched Swithland
slate roof Vernacular revival style. 2 storeys, attic and basement. 5-window range to Market
Place South front of stone mullion windows with leaded lights, including canted oriel bay to
centre left. Similar windows to ground floor with transoms and entrance with moulded round
arch leading to part-glazed doors. Dormer to right, twin gables to centre with 3-light windows
and lead ornamental gargoyle, and prominent partly truncated stack to left. Hotel Street front
has canted oriel bay to first floor, 3-light window over and mullion and transom windows to
ground floor with corner entrance supported on Tuscan column. Part-glazed doors within.
Alley front has similar windows and then walling faced in white tiles. Eaves gutters supported
on wrought iron brackets and lead coping to gables. INTERIOR. Opened out to one large
area on ground floor but possibly retaining some panelling and a fireplace. First floor also
altered. A very well detailed example of the vernacular revival style unusual in a city centre.

Listing NGR: SK5868604378

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.