History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former St Patrick's School

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6402 / 52°38'24"N

Longitude: -1.1321 / 1°7'55"W

OS Eastings: 458824

OS Northings: 305072

OS Grid: SK588050

Mapcode National: GBR FHH.1F

Mapcode Global: WHDJB.LW3T

Entry Name: Former St Patrick's School

Listing Date: 15 August 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250250

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432530

Location: Leicester, LE1

County: City of Leicester

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Leicester

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Leicester The Abbey

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Leicester

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list;

LEICESTER ROYAL EAST STREET
SK 5905
5/10043 Former St Patrick's School
II
Former school and chapel. 1854. By JA Hansom for the Dominican Order of Holy Cross
Priory. Red brick with stone dressings and Welsh slate roof. Gothic style. 2 storeys. 6-window
range of stone mullion windows, including triple-lancets to projecting gables on centre left and
far right. On ground floor 7 stone mullion and transom windows and in the right gable a
doorway with double doors, and hood-mould with end stops. Small window to right and niche
over. Plinth and stone-coped gables with kneelers. INTERIOR. Ground floor has large room
with boxed beams supported on stone corbels. First floor was also originally used for worship
and retains a very fine scissor-braced roof. This school was built as a combined school and
chapel and used as such until a separate church was built in 1867. (Catholic Directory, 1855,
p214; H.Kimberlin, The Return of Catholicism to Leicester).

Listing NGR: SK5882405072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.