History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Mandeville, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0589 / 51°3'31"N

Longitude: -2.0163 / 2°0'58"W

OS Eastings: 398952

OS Northings: 128835

OS Grid: ST989288

Mapcode National: GBR 2YH.F1Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 66NB.498

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 27 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250425

English Heritage Legacy ID: 320354

Location: Sutton Mandeville, Wiltshire, SP3

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sutton Mandeville

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Mandeville All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Teffont Magna

Listing Text

ST 92 NE SUTTON MANDEVILLE SUTTON MANDEVILLE VILLAGE
(east side)

3/128 The Old Rectory

GV II

Rectory, now detached house. 1832 by W.Barnes of Dinton for
William Wyndham of Phillips House (q.v.), Dinton C.P., and William
Knatchbull of Babington. Limestone ashlar, hipped Welsh slate
roof, brick stacks with moulded capping. Two-storey, 4-window
front with mezzanine to left bay. Four-panelled door with transom
light in pilastered porch to right of centre, to left and right is
12-pane sash, left bay has C20 six-pane sashes to ground and
mezzanine floors. Plat band to first floor; three 9-pane sashes
and one 6-pane sash to left bay. Deep eaves with moulded stone
cornice. Right return has three 12-pane sashes, plat band to first
floor with three 9-pane sashes. Rear garden front has 12-pane
sash to left, canted bay with sashes and two 6-pane sashes to right
to ground and mezzanine floors, first floor has two 12-pane and two
6-pane sashes. Left return has 6-panelled door with transom
light, two 9-pane sashes to mezzanine floor and three 6-pane sashes
to first floor.
Interior has stick balusters and continuous moulded handrail to
main stairs, plainer back stairs. Six-panelled doors in moulded
architraves, shutters, marble fireplace surrounds to ground floor.
Mezzanine floor designed to accommodate day and night nursery with
services on low ground floor and servants' quarters on reduced
first floor above. Attached to left return is wood-store and
scullery with planked double doors and chamfered mullioned windows,
hipped slate roof. Ceased to be the rectory in 1959. (Diocesan
Records; Wiltshire; plans and specifications.)


Listing NGR: ST9895228835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.