This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7294 / 52°43'45"N
Longitude: 1.155 / 1°9'17"E
OS Eastings: 613127
OS Northings: 319313
OS Grid: TG131193
Mapcode National: GBR TCK.YMW
Mapcode Global: WHLRV.QN5D
Entry Name: Swannington Manor
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228046
Location: Swannington, Broadland, Norfolk, NR9
Civil Parish: Swannington
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Swannington St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 11 NW SWANNINGTON THE STREET (West)
8/87 Swannington Manor
Country house, circa 1700, containing C16 brick fragments of an earlier
building, and restored by Antiquarian Edmund Bartell (died 1855). Built of
red brick with pantiled roof. North south pile of 2 storeys and attics, with
curved gables, and extended to the north and with later 2 storey pile to rear
with 5 curved gables. 2 storey service wing of 'L' shaped plan extends from
the north to the west and north. Principal facade, 6 windows, with additional
window to north. Blank bay, corresponds to internal axial chimney, to the
right of a vertical joint in the brickwork to the right of the central porch.
Brick plinth, rusticated pilasters with base and capitals at the corners,
and moulded eaves course c1700 porch, possibly with C19 curved gable, has
matching rustication at its angles and elliptical brick entrance arch. Mullion
and transom windows with gauged flat brick arches, those to the left, C19
lst floor windows circa 1700 with roll moulded frames, wrought iron casements
with spring catches and quarry lights. 3-light C19 Gothic window over porch.
Carved timber Griffins support the eaves at the gables. C19 wide eaves with
paired timber brackets. C19 gabled dormers with casement windows with quarry
lights. South gable wall has inserted C20 windows at ground floor level and
c1700 window openings at lst floor level with moulded brick platband above.
At rear, central brick projection with C19 battlemented parapet has C16 brick
work in the lst storey. Scattered fenestration of C19 and C20 mullion and
transom windows with segmental brick arches. Central curved gable, and gable
to its right, mid C18. Other gables to the left, C20. North wing rebuilt
after a fire of circa 1960. North service wing, C18, built off C16 brickwork,
on flint plinth C19 and C20 casement windows. Hipped roof. Gable stacks
with paired diagonal shafts. Rear axial stack and rear gable stack. C19
interior with fixtures imported from elsewhere by Bartell. Medieval stall
end in the form of a bird, against stair newell. Three carved panels with
early Renaissance mythological scenes, C16 and C17, oak panels, one with the
monogram W.R, joined by a Lovers Knot. 1st floor landing windows have English
medieval and forigne stained glass, Butt purlin roof. Scantling deminishes
to the north of the brick joint of the facade.
Listing NGR: TG1312719313
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings