This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8451 / 50°50'42"N
Longitude: -3.6346 / 3°38'4"W
OS Eastings: 285015
OS Northings: 106332
OS Grid: SS850063
Mapcode National: GBR L9.W51J
Mapcode Global: FRA 368V.XGP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 26 August 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433364
Location: Stockleigh English, Mid Devon, Devon, EX17
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Stockleigh English
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Stockleigh English St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
STOCKLEIGH ENGLISH STOCKLEIGH ENGLISH
SS 80 NE
7/225 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Small parish church. C14 nave and chancel, late C15 tower, restored 1878-1883 and
early C20 replacement roof. Stone rubble walls, mostly mudstone and some volcanic
trap; volcanic ashlar dressings and detail; slate roofs with crested ridge tiles.
Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. Mostly Perpendicular. Unbuttressed west
tower of 2 stages with chamfered volcanic plinth, plain dripmould and embattled
parapet with crocketted pinnacles on each corner. Large 2-light belfry windows are
now partly blocked and unrestored cinquefoil-headed window to ringing floor on south
side. West side of tower has unrestored flat-arched volcanic doorway with chamfered
surround and has relief cross in keystone of relieving arch above. Above doorway is
2-light Perpendicular window with restored tracery and hoodmould. Stair turret
projects square from north side of tower and rises only as high as drip course. On
south side the nave projects slightly from the tower and the kneeler and coping may
be original. The plinth continues to nave but stops after approximately 1 metre.
Rest of south wall has been much rebuilt in random rubble. C19 south porch of
snecked stone (mostly volcanic). It is gabled and contains a narrow 2-centred outer
arch. Both south nave windows are largely original. To left of porch is volcanic
double lancet, each light with trefoil head, with restored moulded reveals and low-
arched head. To right of porch is volcanic 3-light window with ogee heads and
original hoodmould. Chancel is slightly narrower and lower than nave. Its south
side has 2 square-headed lancets with trefoil heads and sunken spandrels, both
little restored and of volcanic ashlar. East end of chancel is large 1878-83 work
including the sandstone kneelers, coping and apex cross, and the sandstone 3-light
Perpendicular-style window and hoodmould. Blind north side to chancel. Nave
projects slightly from chancel and north front includes a primitive 3-light volcanic
ashlar Perpendicular window at left (east) end; flat-arched head, 2 vertical
mullions with flat arches between and hoodmould - probably C17. Rest of wall
rebuilt blind in C19 with snecked stone.
Interior: south porch has C19 wagon roof with moulded ribs. South doorway is
restored volcanic ashlar 2-centred arch with chamfered surround and contains a
restored C15 oak studded door with moulded cover strips, and on inside preserves
the top original wrought iron strap hinge with foliate fleur-de-lys finial, and the
original oak lock. Early C20 roofs to nave and chancel with cross-braced trusses.
High,almost round-headed plain tower arch is original C15. C19 rebuilt ringing
floor and C15 segmental-headed volcanic doorway to tower stairs. 1878-1883 gothic-
style timber chancel arch. Chancel floor has late C17-early C18 black and white
marble flags set in chequer pattern at east end and late C19 encaustic tiles under
altar. Nottingham alabaster gothic-style reredos and similar style altar, dated
1885, with alabaster top and carved timber gothic-style blind arcading across front.
Altar rails, stalls, lectern, pulpit (dated 1884) and tower screen, all late C19
gothic-style. Contemporary pews apparently made from sections of C18 pews.
Probably medieval font of granite with hollow-chamfered plinth circular stem and
octagonal bowl. North side of nave includes group of marble mural memorials to
Bellew family of nearby Stockleigh Court (q.v.); notably the William Bellew memorial
of 1789 which comprises a grey-black rectangular plaque flanked by white marble
pilasters given a fluted effect by inlaid strips of coloured marble and with moulded
caps enhanced with acanthus, moulded entablature surmounted by a cartouche, and
lower apron from which crossed frond decoration has been removed. Others to William
Bellew, d.1772, of white and grey marble with cartouche on top and another William
Bellew, d.1826, featuring a rectangular marble plaque with carved Beerstone gothic-
style surround with ogee-headed arch with crocketted finials. Over south door are
worn painted arms to one of early King Georges.
Sources: Devon SMR
Listing NGR: SS8501506332
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings