History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chingford Mill Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Waltham Forest, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6144 / 51°36'51"N

Longitude: -0.033 / 0°1'58"W

OS Eastings: 536284

OS Northings: 192448

OS Grid: TQ362924

Mapcode National: GBR JX.VQV

Mapcode Global: VHGQG.CPW9

Entry Name: Chingford Mill Pumping Station

Listing Date: 2 August 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250896

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206966

Location: Waltham Forest, London, E4

County: London

District: Waltham Forest

Electoral Ward/Division: Valley

Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Chingford St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Edmonton

Listing Text

LOWER HALL LANE
Chingford Mill Pumping
TQ 39 SE Station

1802/1/10005

II

Pumping Station. Dated 1895. Built for the East London Waterworks Co.
The Project engineer William Booth Bryan. Brick in flemish bond with
soft red brick and terracotta dressing, same box framing. Roofs of
tile with swept eaves and exposed rafter ends. The plan is derived
from a typical parish church plan; at the centre a tower of three
stages with round-arched openings. To the southwest a single storey
wing reminiscent of a chancel. To the northeast a tall nave of 3 bays,
flat arched windows to north face set in segmental-arched recess;
gable-facing elevation has large tupaitite and flat arched window set
in round-arched recess; gable head tile hung and box framing; low
single storey wing to return long transept arm has a very long strip
roof dormer; the facing gable end has a pair of round-arched openings
to ground, six-round-arched windows above and a gable head of box
framing. At junction of tower and "nave" is a single-storey, gable
facing porch with decorative framing to head. Above a plaque in red
brick and terracotta inscribed: "E.L.W.W.Co. Erected 1895". The style
is noteworthy, a variant of the style popularised by Richard Norman
Shaw and usually found on domestic buildings; its use on a pumping
station is most unusual, as is the church-like plan. Forms a group
with the Turbine House and metal railing, Lower Hall Lane.


Listing NGR: TQ3628492448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.