This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3404 / 53°20'25"N
Longitude: -1.7772 / 1°46'37"W
OS Eastings: 414933
OS Northings: 382637
OS Grid: SK149826
Mapcode National: GBR JY1T.18
Mapcode Global: WHCCL.N9YH
Entry Name: Peveril Castle Curtain Walls and Fragmentary Foundations
Listing Date: 17 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82553
Location: Castleton, High Peak, Derbyshire, S33
District: High Peak
Civil Parish: Castleton
Built-Up Area: Castleton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Castleton St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF CASTLETON OFF MARKET PLACE
SK 18 SW 6/36 Peveril Castle, Curtain Walls
and fragmentary foundations
Castle. Late Cll, C12 and early C13. Rubble limestone and gritstone ashlar.
Roughly triangular site with the keep in the south west angle. North and west
curtain walls have some herringbone masonry. Remains of buildings including the
hall in the north west angle. Remains of further extensive domestic buildings
in the south east corner, probably including a chapel. The keep was built in 1176.
It is square in plan and retains some of its ashlar facing, mainly on the south
east and south west fronts. Each front has angle and central buttresses partly
extant. Narrow round headed windows to ground floor. Entrance is to the first
floor on the south east side. The upper floors have larger window openings.
Remains of spiral staircase in the north east angle. Scheduled Ancient Monument
in the guardianship of English Heritage.
Listing NGR: SK1493382606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings