History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn Approximately 33 Metres South South East of Verulamium Museum (Not Included)

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Albans, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7525 / 51°45'8"N

Longitude: -0.3546 / 0°21'16"W

OS Eastings: 513672

OS Northings: 207253

OS Grid: TL136072

Mapcode National: GBR H89.14W

Mapcode Global: VHFS7.S6WX

Entry Name: Barn Approximately 33 Metres South South East of Verulamium Museum (Not Included)

Listing Date: 13 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251277

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163519

Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Town: St. Albans

Electoral Ward/Division: Verulam

Built-Up Area: St Albans

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Albans St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Saint Albans

Listing Text

The following shall be added:

ST MICHAEL'S STREET
(South side)
TL 1307 7/330 Barn approx. 33m SSE of
Verulamium Museum (not
II included)


Barn . Mid C18. C20 weatherboarding over timber frame set on brick plinth; gabled
and old (mid C18 to mid C19) plain tile roof. 6-bay plan, with threshing floor in
second bay from right. Gabled porch to front, with outshut to right; C20 windows
have been inserted in the double doors of the porch; C20 double doors to rear.
Interior: the timber framing is divided, by a middle rail set between the wall
posts, into two panels per bay length, with diagonal bracing from post to rail;
some mid C19 machine - sawn timbers are included amongst the timber-framed studding
of the walls. Unjowled posts with diagonal bracing support the 6-bay common-rafter
roof (split oak rafters): each truss has an upper collar, and angled struts from tie
beam to clasped purlins; the end bays and the threshing floor bay have windbraces.
The outshut to the right of the porch probably served as a store for implements and
retains some C18 weatherboarding with lapped joints. Partition to left of threshing
floor is made of mid C19 machine-sawn timbers but probably occupies the position of
an original partition. The barn stood on the east side of the foldyard of St Germain's
Farm, documented since the C16. A map of 1766 shows a building on the site of the
barn.


Listing NGR: TL1367207253

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.