History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strap Farmhouse strapp Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Chiselborough, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9293 / 50°55'45"N

Longitude: -2.7554 / 2°45'19"W

OS Eastings: 347006

OS Northings: 114695

OS Grid: ST470146

Mapcode National: GBR MH.PRQY

Mapcode Global: FRA 563N.BB7

Entry Name: Strap Farmhouse strapp Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 27 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263533

Location: Chiselborough, South Somerset, Somerset, TA14

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Chiselborough

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chiselborough

Listing Text

ST4614 CHISELBOROUGH CP EAST STREET (North side)
11/78 Strapp Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Strap
Farmhouse)
19.4.61
GV II
Detached farmhouse. C17 and C18, much modified. Ham stone near-ashlar, with ashlar dressings; mostly double Roman clay
tiles, but one bay of Welsh slates between high stepped coped gables suggesting earlier thatch; brick chimney stacks.
Two storeys, 5 bays. Hollow-chamfered mullioned windows with labels to lower bays 1 4 and 5 of 3, 2 and 2-lights,
elsewhere 3-light casement windows; of C20 pattern with toplight bay 1 and the 2-light casements to bay 2, to bay 3 and
upper bays 4 and 5 of a C18 pattern, with external curl stays to iron framed opening lights: all windows rectangular
leaded: between bays 1 and 2 a fully glazed C20 door under concrete lintol, up one step; between bays 3 and 4 a moulded
triangular-arched doorway in rectangular recess with decorated spandrils, with initials GA to left and date 1576 to
right, with boarded door up 2 steps. High in west gable a circular window; further single light ovolo-mould, window
under hood in east gable. Outshut and other extensions to rear. Interior not seen, but reported is another datestone JG
1792 which refers to at least the north-west extension, and probably most of the rest of the surviving house - other
than the doorway there is little sign of C16 work: one roof truss with tenoned purlins and apex, no ridge piece. (VAG
Report, unpublished SRO, July 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4700614695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.