History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bosworth Park Infirmary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Market Bosworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6262 / 52°37'34"N

Longitude: -1.3982 / 1°23'53"W

OS Eastings: 440830

OS Northings: 303329

OS Grid: SK408033

Mapcode National: GBR 7KZ.7BP

Mapcode Global: WHDJD.H8D1

Entry Name: Bosworth Park Infirmary

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251547

English Heritage Legacy ID: 188123

Location: Market Bosworth, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, CV13

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Market Bosworth

Built-Up Area: Market Bosworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Market Bosworth St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Market Bosworth

Listing Text

MARKET BOSWORTH
THE PARK
SK4003
9/64
Bosworth Park Infirmary

GV II*


Country house, now hospital. Largely of c1680-90 but with alterations of
C1837-50 and additions principally in stable courtyards of 1885. Brick with
ashlar dressings throughoutjlow pitched slate hipped roofs, probably
C1837-50. Two storeyed. Entrance front raised on a terrace with stone
balustrades and central flight of steps, is of nine bays (3-3-3). The central
three bays project beneath a pediment with modillions, and tall fluted
pilasters, and a shield of arms in the gable. Stone fluted pilasters mark the
principal angles. Doorways and projecting central porch with broken segmental
pediment and wrought iron fanlight above double doors. Windows are 15 pane
sashes with flat arched gauged brick heads. South elevation raised on terrace
with brick retaining wall with stone copings is of 11 bays (4-3-4) again with
pedimented centre piece, the central bay of which is given further expression
by stone pilasters and an open pediment to each window case. Shield of arms
in gable. Internal detail spans a range of styles from the original house
through to the major alterations of 1885. As an original survival, the
staircase is notable, with moulded rail capped by ramified urns above the
newels and slim turned balasters. It has however been re-arranged to form a
straight flight. Raised and fielded panelling throughout may also be original
work, but plaster ceilings which are largely heavy floral swags forming
panels, though with some lighter motifs including strap work and pendants in
one principal upper room is largely of 1885. Other detailing seems also to
belong to this period, but some fireplaces are of the 18th century, and
grisaille panels over some upper doorways are of the later C18. The entrance
hall is completely of 1885 in a Tudor style with panelled ceilings and stone
fireplace with carved wood over mantle. In the cellar are two doors removed
from Newgate Prison cells in 1903. Stable courtyard to north of house is
almost entirely of 1885 in a Dutch style with principal range to the north
articulated by pilasters with a central shaped Dutch gable.


Listing NGR: SK4083003329

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.