This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5177 / 51°31'3"N
Longitude: -0.0882 / 0°5'17"W
OS Eastings: 532747
OS Northings: 181599
OS Grid: TQ327815
Mapcode National: GBR SB.B3
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.F37V
Entry Name: Business School, London Metropolitan University
Listing Date: 19 May 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199868
Location: City of London, London, EC2M
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Coleman Street
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Botolph without Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/03/2013
TQ 3281 NE 4/350
Nos 76 to 92 (even)
Business School, London Metropolitan University
(Formerly listed as Business School, London Polytechnic)
Formerly Electra House, headquarters of the international telegraph company, Cable and Wireless. 1900-3. Belcher de Joass sculpture by George Frampton. Stone; granite podium; slated roof. Five storeys and dormers. Twelve bays. Monumental classical building, almost symmetrical with central dome. Rusticated to ground and first floors. Central round arched entrance of two storeys. Rusticated pavilions slightly advanced, flanking entrance topped by small pediments. Concave colonnade between, with dome above. Giant Corinthian columns to either side, to second and third storeys. Main cornice above third floor. Windows square headed except first floor, with semicircular arches. Oriel to left hand corner rising two storeys. Much figure sculpture. Bronze globe finial to dome support by putti. Elaborate two storey entrance hall in stone with Ionic columns. Original stained glass window over door depicting symbolically wireless communications.
The building was taken over by the City of London College in 1944, and subsequently joined with other colleges to become part of the London Metropolitan University’s Business School.
Listing NGR: TQ3274781599
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings