History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hadspen House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pitcombe, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0777 / 51°4'39"N

Longitude: -2.4862 / 2°29'10"W

OS Eastings: 366036

OS Northings: 131044

OS Grid: ST660310

Mapcode National: GBR MW.DFXJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 56P8.M7T

Entry Name: Hadspen House

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434632

Location: Pitcombe, South Somerset, Somerset, BA7

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Pitcombe

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Castle Cary

Listing Text

PITCOMBE CP
ST63SE HADSPEN
5/244
Hadspen House
24.3.61
GV II*

Country House. Mostly C18. Cary stone ashlar; hipped Welsh slate roof behind parapets; stone chimney stacks. Originally
solid "U"-plan with C19 and C20 extensions; 2 storeys with attics; 5 bay South front, the centre 3 bays slightly
projecting. Plinth, rustic quoins to centre bays, cornice, low parapet with coping, with pediment over centre bays:
12-pane sash windows to ground floor, set in architraved surrounds with pedimented heads, triangular to bays 1 and 5,
segmental bays 2 and 4; central part-glazed doors set in porch with Doric columns and pilasters, full entablature with
metopes and pediment hood: first floor has 9-pane sashes in architraved surrounds; behind parapets 4 hipped roof
dormers with 2-light casement windows. West elevation of matching 4 bays, with projecting single storey porch having
rusticated ashlar, plinth, cornice, coped parapet and Doric columns supporting full entablature and pedimented hood
protecting 6-panel door: Westwards extension from North West corner in plainer style, dated 1886. East elevation of 5
bays; bay 1 matches, then 4 plain bays leading to plainer Eastwards extension with segmental curved end, date on
weathervane 1909. Rear extension Northwards of 1828. Inside, rooms of several periods: South West room, the library,
has good cornice, fireplace surround and Chippendale style built-in bookcases; South East sitting room has cornice,
fireplace, dado and plaster panelled walls; East dining room has cornice, marble fireplace flanked by statue niches,
plain dado and Adamesque plasterwork decoration to walls; North West room has early C18 dado panelling, possibly
adapted; main stair at rear early C19, but stairs from first floor to attic of C18 - at foot a 2-panel door with
detached pediment doorcase. Original farmhouse built by William Player, 1687 to 1699; sold to Vickris Dickinson in
1747, again in 1767 and finally to Hobhouse family, present owners, in 1785. House improved between 1767 and 1791, when
Collinson was able to describe it as "recently much improved" - ceilings of front rooms raised 1786-87, wth some other
works; major alterations and additons to rear in 1828, 1886 and 1909 - good quality work of each period. (Andrew Raven,
Hadspen House, Unpublished architectural thesis for RWA Bristol, undated).


Listing NGR: ST6603631044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.