History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hermitage, Manor Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastbourne, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7709 / 50°46'15"N

Longitude: 0.2675 / 0°16'3"E

OS Eastings: 559986

OS Northings: 99264

OS Grid: TV599992

Mapcode National: GBR MV7.NG8

Mapcode Global: FRA C7G1.L1N

Entry Name: The Hermitage, Manor Gardens

Listing Date: 6 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 293631

Location: Eastbourne, East Sussex, BN20

County: East Sussex

District: Eastbourne

Town: Eastbourne

Electoral Ward/Division: Upperton

Built-Up Area: Eastbourne

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Eastbourne St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Eastbourne

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:


TV 59 NE; TV 5998 9926 EASTBOURNE BOROUGH LANE
12/115 (east side, off)

The Hermitage, Manor
Gardens

II

Gazebo to Manor House (qv). Late C18. Rendered brick (now pebble-dashed);
thatched roof. Octagonal symmetrical comparison in Gothic style. Single-storey.
Brick plinth from which there rise, on each of the 5 front bays, ogee-arched
wooden architraves with crescent finials and flanking quatrefoil panels. 2 stone
steps up to doorway (door removed), the architrave having pilasters with strings
and plain capitals. The openings to the 2 flanking bays on each side have
panelled bases and bottom-hinged shutters (removed from left-hand bays) which
conceal ogee-headed sashes with decorative glazing bars, the glazing bars mostly
removed. The 3 rear bays each have a bow with semi-conical thatched roof (thatch
mostly removed). Wooden eaves cornice. Roof surmounted by spiked and petalled,
swept, finial. Interior: board lining with plinth, dado rail and cornice; an
ogee-arched architrave to each side, the 3 rear sides with alcoves; at top of each
side a moulded bush garland descends from ribband and drapes over floral
medallions. In state of dereliction at time of inspection. The gazebo was built
either for the Rev H Lushington who built Manor House shortly before 1777, or for
C Gilbert who purchased the house in 1792. A colour-wash drawing of the gazebo
was made by T Poppleton during the first decade of the C19.


Listing NGR: TV5998699264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.