This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8498 / 50°50'59"N
Longitude: 0.4914 / 0°29'29"E
OS Eastings: 575474
OS Northings: 108544
OS Grid: TQ754085
Mapcode National: GBR PX6.R1F
Mapcode Global: FRA C6XV.H88
Entry Name: Nazareth House
Listing Date: 17 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 292032
Location: Rother, East Sussex, TN40
County: East Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michaels
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bexhill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Bexhill
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
The following building shall be added to the list;
TQ 70 NE BEXHILL HASTINGS ROAD
Purpose-built house for aged and infirm. Original wing built in 1893-4 by Leonard Stokes for the Sisters of Nazareth, extended by him to the west in 1911 to provide further living quarters and a bigger chapel and further extended by him in 1926 at the rear. The 1937 east wing designed by Pugin and Pugin as playroom, classroom and dormitories is now a Roman Catholic Primary School in separate
occupation and with a separate address and is not included in the listing and is not listable. Original 1893 wing is of roughcast with half-hipped slate roof with 2 cemented chimneystacks. 3 storeys. 11 windows. Gabled dormer with 10-light window with late C20 glazing. 18 pane sashes. Recessed doorcase with square piers and balustrading over with statues of St Joseph and the Virgin and Child.
Late C20 sunlounges obscure ground floor. Rear elevation has 2 corner turrets with crenellated parapets and triple gables between with recessesed centre behind giant round-headed arch. 1 storey 1926 additions by Stokes at right angles. Stokes west wing of 1911 is of brown brick with red brick and some stone dressings and hipped slate roof. South front is of 2 storeys. 9 windows with central chapel on first floor and 2 blank windows on first floor right to small chapel. Windows are 18-pane sashes. Aprons between floors, end quoins and plinth. Tall central gable cross and characteristic quoins of alternate brick and stone. 2 storey bay with lancet window each side of chapel. Side elevation has first of all projecting 3 bay wing in matching style then set back. 4 bay
section with central tall brick chimneystack with stone stripes, bays separated by red brick and stone full height pilasters and 3, 5-light traceried windows to first floor chapel. Ground floor windows mainly late C20 aluminium replacements. C20 corner porch. Rear elevation dominated by large traceried chapel window in gable. Principal feature of interior is the first floor chapel which has a
ribbed vaulted ceiling and original piers and gallery incorporating confessional. Marble altarpiece. Smaller chapel with screen was originally restricted to nuns.
[See A Stuart Grey "Edwardian Architecture" P338]
Listing NGR: TQ7519208524
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings