This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4179 / 51°25'4"N
Longitude: -1.747 / 1°44'49"W
OS Eastings: 417687
OS Northings: 168794
OS Grid: SU176687
Mapcode National: GBR 4X7.33K
Mapcode Global: VHB46.NMSD
Entry Name: Upcot
Listing Date: 3 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310280
Location: Marlborough, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Marlborough
Built-Up Area: Marlborough
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
SU 1768 4/128 3.9.73.
1886. Architect Richard Norman Shaw. Additions by W G Newton of 1927-8 in same
materials and similar style. Red brick with some grey headers. 1st floor hung
with fish-scale tiles. Pitched tile roofs, one at east end half-hipped. Tall
brick stacks. 2 storeys and attics. 1st floor jettied on garden (south) front.
Entrance on end (west) elevation.
Main feature is projecting end stack, with diapered brick work near top, culminating
in paired stacks. Battened and studded door set in porch in antis, with depressed
brick barrel vault. Outer porch of wood and glass with scrolled consoles taking
a moulded cornice. 1st floor has 1 small casement and 1 coved oriel with casement
and moulded cornice. Attic floor has 1 small casement and door to iron fire-escape
which runs diagonally across the elevation.
Garden front has 2 canted bays with casements joined by moulded wooden cornice
on ground floor. 2 coved oriels with casements and moulded cornices on lst floor
1 attic dormer, tile hung, gabled, with casements. East end of this elevation
is timber framed with roughcast nogging, and has continuously glazed ground floor
with moulded wooden cornice, moulded bressumer on consoles, and small casement
on 1st floor.
Dormitory wing has 1 segment-headed doorway with fanlight, and 4 segment-headed
sashes on ground floor, and 3 sashes, 1 tripartite, on 1st floor. Extension
to east of this has 4 sashes on ground floor and 1 mullion-and-transom window
with glazing bars on 1st floor. East elevation of this extension has 3 curious
hipped dormers over the 1st floor windows.
Interior has characteristically Shavian "early Georgian" fireplaces and panelling
to dado level. Staircase of late C17 type, with closed string, square newels,
and slender vase-shaped balusters.
The house was built by Shaw as a minster's house with a dormitory behind for Marlborough
Listing NGR: SU1768768794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings