History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Turnours Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Chigwell, Essex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6414 / 51°38'28"N

Longitude: 0.1082 / 0°6'29"E

OS Eastings: 545972

OS Northings: 195722

OS Grid: TQ459957

Mapcode National: GBR PX.7XP

Mapcode Global: VHHMZ.T0JK

Entry Name: Turnours Hall

Listing Date: 20 August 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1252964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 118700

Location: Chigwell, Epping Forest, Essex, IG7

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

Civil Parish: Chigwell

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Find accommodation in
Theydon Bois

Listing Text

TQ 49 NE CHIGWELL GRAVEL LANE
Turnours Hall
2/103
II

House. Circa C17 origin, on a Medieval site, substantially
remodelled and extended in circa 1860s or 1870s (dated 1871). Red
brick in Flemish bond with moulded brick dressings. Plain tile
gabled roof. Brick stacks with multiple octagonal and diagonally-
set moulded shafts. Plan comprises entrance hall with stairwell
behind and cross-wing on left extending to late C19 chapel at rear
behind small courtyard which is enclosed on right (north) side by
a later C19 service wing. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys, attic
and cellar. Asymmetrical 4-bay east front, bays 1 and 3 gabled,
bay 1 a cross-wing, both with 2 storey square bay windows with 5-
light windows and overhanging gables on moulded terracotta
brackets, moulded brick string courses and quatrefoil panels above
first floor windows in the bay windows. Casements with 4-centred
arch lights and leaded panes, those in bay 2 and 4 of 2-lights,
those in gables witbpolygonal heads with brick hoodmoulds.
Similar casements in half-hipped dormers. 4-centred arch doorway
in bay 2 with panelled double doors. South elevation: 2 right hand
gabled bays treated similarly, but left hand section appears to be
later C19 extension with gabled oriel overwide bay. North
elevation has gabled bayo left similar to those on east front and
later C19 wing projecting on right with 5-bay 4-centred arch and
arcade on ground floor and 3-light windows above, the centre in
brick oriel. At rear (west) 2 gables on left and chapel on right.
with 3 Gothic Y-tracery windows with cusped lights. Interior:
Victorian gothic joinery including chimneypieces and large stair
case lit by stained glass windows. Plaster relief in hall
probably by Ada Palmer. Hall chimneypiece replaces in one
illustrated in RCHM. Dining Room has C18 fielded panelling and
chimneypiece. Chapel has 1903 memorial :8 fielded panelling and
Palmer. stained glass to Ada.
Note: Turnours hall was the home from about 1860 - 1914 of Ada
Palmer, the sculptress and painter, whose studio 'The Studio' (qv)
was a converted barn to the south.
Sources: VCH Vol. 4 pp20 and 21. RCHM Vol 2 (1921) pp 49 and 247
(photo).


Listing NGR: TQ4597295722

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.