History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lewisham Theatre and Department of Environmental Service

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewisham, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4453 / 51°26'42"N

Longitude: -0.0204 / 0°1'13"W

OS Eastings: 537665

OS Northings: 173667

OS Grid: TQ376736

Mapcode National: GBR K8.RHY

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.LXKY

Entry Name: Lewisham Theatre and Department of Environmental Service

Listing Date: 21 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253065

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436196

Location: Lewisham, London, SE6

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Rushey Green

Built-Up Area: Lewisham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Catford St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Catford

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

CATFORD RUSHEY GREEN
TQ 3773
779-/25/10005 Lewisham Theme and
Department of
Environmental services

II

Theatre and offices, built as concert hall and offices. Built in 1931-32 by Arthur John Hope of
the firm of Bradshaw, Gass and Hope as a concert hall extension to the old Town Hall of
1874-5 by G Elkington, demolished in the 1950s. The building included offices and was
originally intended for dancing and wrestling as well as concerts and minor theatricals. Curved
stone building with hipped tiled roof with 2 stage domed octagonal cupola surmounted by
weathervane. Four storeys. Third floor set back with triple arched windows divided by pilasters.
Other floors have top opening casements with small panes (arched to second floor) divided by
pilasters with reliefs of sea creatures. Central open pediment flanked by heraldic deers and bears
(Lewisham crest) and stone flat canopy to ground floor. Theatre to left comprises central
full-height curved bay with 3 tall arched windows with 9 smaller windows to 3rd floor divided
by shields with heraldic beasts and 2 further bays on either side. Centre has flat canopy and
double doors. Sides have two curved doorcases with central roundel. Rear entrance has blank
wall with blank panel with griffins flanking shield and gargoyles below parapet. Interior of
theatre has complete Art Deco interior. Staircases have metal handrails, panels with metal
scrollwork and octagonal metal light fittings, Function Room has lattice panels and panelling,
vaulted corridor with gilded ceiling apertures, Concert Hall has gothic style oak panelling and
4-centred surrounds to radiators. Auditorium has curved roof with coffered panels, giant
round-headed arches, 10 original metal and glass lanterns, carved wooden gallery and curved
proscenium arch flanked by panels surmounted by shields, flanked by heraldic beasts and metal
scrollwork grilles. Original Compton organ with consoles.


Listing NGR: TQ3766573667

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.