This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3466 / 51°20'47"N
Longitude: -2.2561 / 2°15'22"W
OS Eastings: 382256
OS Northings: 160865
OS Grid: ST822608
Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.DFW
Mapcode Global: VH96V.VF41
Entry Name: Outbuilding Immediately to South of Number 28
Listing Date: 15 November 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253067
English Heritage Legacy ID: 312820
Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15
Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon
Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BRADFORD ON AVON NEWTOWN
2/309 Outbuilding immediately
to S of No. 28
Outbuilding with stone water tanks. C17/18. Coursed limestone rubble; corrugated
iron loan-to roof. Rectangular plan. West end has tall doorway. North wall has
window opening with splayed jambs and south wall forms part of north boundary wall
of The Old Brewery (q.v.). Three semi-circular arched vaults to east, that to
north used as through entry and that to south having chamfered pointed-arched doorway.
Interior: stone water tanks, with drain off to south-east corner. Probably formed a
reservoir for the supply of water to The Priory. Documents from 1663 have referred
to cisterns on the site for conveying water to the house, which was used for cloth
making during its occupancy by the Methuen family in the C17 and C18.
(Wiltshire Record Office: Methuen Papers 1742/6400 (will of Paul Methuen, 1663);
1742/2283 (deed of 1763).)
Listing NGR: ST8225560866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings